Flux distribution in transformers

In summary, in order to create flux flow in a 3-phase transformer, the iron core is filled with flux-cutting material.
adool_617
Dear all members , i am glad to open a new topic

well , let's get into the main point quickly

you know that transformers is build on the idea that energy is transferred from one winding to the other by the transferring of flux form primary winding to secondry winding

well ,to make the flux go or flow in the direction desired (i.e to force the flux to cut the secondry winding and minimize the leakage flux ) we add iron core

this is very good in case of single phase transformer as flux move from one side to the other inside the core

but in case of 3-phase transformers where the primary and secondry windings are concentric
how the flux flow in the core and at the same time cut the secondry

what i mean is : the flux can cut the secondry winding but easier for it to flow inside the core as the path used to cut the windings is to flow first in air then in the windings

if anybody have a photo for the distribution of flux in 3-phase transfromers windings and core i will be very glad

i hope all can join in this topic also if anybody have a question regarding the magnetism it will be very good to post

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
adool_617 said:
Dear all members , i am glad to open a new topic

well , let's get into the main point quickly

you know that transformers is build on the idea that energy is transferred from one winding to the other by the transferring of flux form primary winding to secondry winding

well ,to make the flux go or flow in the direction desired (i.e to force the flux to cut the secondry winding and minimize the leakage flux ) we add iron core

this is very good in case of single phase transformer as flux move from one side to the other inside the core

but in case of 3-phase transformers where the primary and secondry windings are concentric
how the flux flow in the core and at the same time cut the secondry

what i mean is : the flux can cut the secondry winding but easier for it to flow inside the core as the path used to cut the windings is to flow first in air then in the windings

if anybody have a photo for the distribution of flux in 3-phase transfromers windings and core i will be very glad

i hope all can join in this topic also if anybody have a question regarding the magnetism it will be very good to post

thanks

Welcome to the PF. I don't know the answer to your question, but a goodle search on "three-phase transformer" returned lots of good-looking hits. Here's the hit list:

http://www.google.com/search?source...T4GGLL_enUS301US302&q=three-phase+transformer

The important term in magnetic induction is linking not cutting, material core in three phase and single phase transformers lead curl of produced flux to best linking of primary and secondary winding with magnetic flux. Please refer to attached figure.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Creative thinking is enjoyable, Then think about your surrounding things and other thought products. http://electrical-riddles.com

Last edited:
figure of that post
112.GIF

adool_617 said:
Here's a Ipaper on transformer construction basics that have some pictures of windings and cores.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/8935188/Transformer-BasicsPDF"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is flux distribution in transformers?

Flux distribution in transformers refers to the way in which the magnetic flux is distributed within the transformer. This is important because it affects the efficiency and performance of the transformer.

2. Why is flux distribution important in transformers?

Flux distribution is important because it determines the amount of energy that is transferred between the primary and secondary windings of the transformer. It also affects the amount of heat generated and the overall efficiency of the transformer.

3. How is flux distribution controlled in transformers?

Flux distribution can be controlled through the design of the transformer's core, windings, and insulation materials. The shape and size of the core, as well as the arrangement of the windings, can all impact the flux distribution.

4. What factors affect flux distribution in transformers?

The main factors that affect flux distribution in transformers include the number of turns in the windings, the material and size of the core, and the frequency of the alternating current passing through the transformer.

5. How does uneven flux distribution affect transformer performance?

Uneven flux distribution can cause imbalances in the transformer's magnetic field, leading to increased losses and reduced efficiency. It can also cause overheating and potential damage to the transformer. Therefore, it is important to design transformers with proper flux distribution to ensure optimal performance.