Common base amplifier current gain

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the common-base current gain equation, which is approximately \alpha = \frac{\beta}{\beta+1}. A nodal analysis is used with the signal applied to the emitter through the intrinsic emitter resistance, the base grounded, and the collector current equal to I_c = \frac{\beta}{\beta+1}I_e. However, there is a mistake in the equation as the correct answer should be \alpha = \frac{\beta}{\beta+1}. The conversation concludes with the statement that the real advantage of common-base bipolar transistor RF amplifiers is the high voltage gain from a low impedance source.
bitrex
Hi folks - I'm trying to follow along in a textbook the derivation of the common-base current gain equation, and I'm having a bit of trouble. The common base current gain is supposed to be approximately [tex]\alpha[/tex], where [tex]\alpha = \frac{\beta}{\beta+1}[/tex]. Doing a nodal analysis with the signal applied to the emitter through the intrinsic emitter resistance, the base grounded, and the collector current equal to [tex]I_c = \frac{\beta}{\beta+1}I_e[/tex] (Ie is the emitter current) I have:

[tex]\frac{I_i}{I_o} = \frac{\frac{V_in}{r_e}} {\frac{\beta}{\beta+1}{\frac{V_in}{r_e}}}} = \frac{\beta+1}{\beta}[/tex]. Unfortunately the correct answer is obviously [tex]\alpha = \frac{\beta}{\beta+1}[/tex], which the equation I have doesn't evaluate to. Can anyone see where I went wrong?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I see it now that I typed it up! It should of course be [tex]\frac{I_o}{I_i}[/tex], not the other way around. :biggrin:

The real advantage in common base bipolar transistor RF amplifiers is the high voltage gain from a low impedance source.

What is a common base amplifier current gain?

A common base amplifier current gain is a measure of the amplification of electrical current in a common base configuration. It is defined as the ratio of output current to input current.

Why is common base configuration used in amplifiers?

The common base configuration is used in amplifiers because it offers a high input impedance and a low output impedance. This makes it suitable for applications where the input signal has a low voltage and needs to be amplified without distortion.

How is the current gain of a common base amplifier calculated?

The current gain of a common base amplifier is calculated using the formula: β = IC/IB, where β is the current gain, IC is the output current, and IB is the input current.

What factors affect the current gain of a common base amplifier?

The current gain of a common base amplifier can be affected by several factors, including the type and characteristics of the transistor used, the biasing voltage, the load impedance, and the frequency of the input signal.

What are the typical values of current gain for common base amplifiers?

The current gain for common base amplifiers can range from a few tens to a few hundreds, depending on the specific circuit design and components used. However, typical values fall within the range of 50 to 100.