What is the composition of a gas giant's atmosphere?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the atmosphere of a gas giant and how it differs from the planet's surface. The speaker explains that the atmosphere refers to the outer layers of the planet, while the surface may contain solid materials and heavier compounds.
vanesch
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have a silly question:

what do people understand by "the atmosphere of a gas giant" ?

Isn't most of the planet "all atmosphere", or how should one picture this ?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
My first thought at seeing the title was exactly your interpretation: a gas giant is an atmosphere (for all intents and purposes). And if someone pressed beyond that, I'd go into more specifics about the solid(?) metal core and the high pressure (above the critical point) transition between liquid and gas.

I think the reference "the atmosphere of a gas giant" refers specifically to those gasses present in the outer layers of the planet. Therefore, it is distinguished between the "surface" of a gas giant which may or may not be solid, but contains the heavier metals and other compounds not observed in the outer layers.

What is a gas giant?

A gas giant is a type of planet that is primarily composed of gases such as hydrogen and helium. They are much larger than terrestrial planets and do not have a solid surface.

What is the atmosphere of a gas giant like?

The atmosphere of a gas giant is typically very thick and extends far out into space. It is composed of mostly hydrogen and helium, with smaller amounts of other gases such as methane and ammonia.

Why are gas giants often called "failed stars"?

Gas giants are often called "failed stars" because they have a similar composition to stars, but lack the necessary mass to sustain nuclear fusion and become a full-fledged star.

Do gas giants have weather systems?

Yes, gas giants have extremely active weather systems due to their strong gravitational pull and fast rotation. Some gas giants, such as Jupiter, have prominent storms and hurricanes that can last for centuries.

Is it possible for life to exist on a gas giant?

It is highly unlikely for life to exist on a gas giant due to its extreme atmospheric conditions. The lack of a solid surface and the presence of toxic gases make it inhospitable for life as we know it.