Need the parametric equation of a circle perpendicular to a vector.

In summary, the equation for a circle perpendicular to a vector <a,b,c> in 3D space can be described as the intersection of the plane ax+by+cz=0 and the sphere x^2+y^2+z^2=constant. To find the parametric equation x[t],y[t],z[t], one can solve the plane for z and put it into the equation of the sphere to get an xy equation, which can then be completed into the standard form of an ellipse. From there, the circle can be parameterized and z can be expressed in terms of t. Additionally, in some cases, the surface integral given by Stoke's Theorem may be easier to work with than the circuit integral.
okkvlt
i need a parametric equation of a circle in 3d space that is perpendicular to a vector <a,b,c>. (as t goes up the circle is traced counterclockwise, as viewed from the head of the vector.)
in the form x[t],y[t],z[t]
i know that x^2+y^2+z^2=constant
and that ax+by+cz=0

But i cannot figure out the parametric equation x[t],y[t],z[t] that describes a circle perpendicular to the vector.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
or, phrased in other words, this is the intersection of the plane ax+by+cz=0 and the sphere x^2+y^2+z^2=constant.

in case anybodys wondering, I am working on stokes theorem.

Last edited:
There may be a shorter way in some specific cases, but you might try this. Solve the plane for z and put that in the equation of the sphere. This will give you an xy equation which represents the projection of the intersection curve in the xy plane. This will be an ellipse. Complete the square on it and get it in the standard form:

[tex]\frac {(x-p)^2}{a^2} + \frac {(y-q)^2}{b^2} = 1[/tex]

Then you can parameterize it as:

[tex] x = p + a\cos(t)\ y=q + b\sin(t)[/tex]

and use these to get z on the plane in terms of t also.

I want to add, after thinking about my reply, that it isn't so simple. The equation in the xy plane will likely be both translated and rotated. And since the OP is working with Stoke's Theorem, my guess is that the circuit integral might be unnecessary and, depending on the specific problem, the surface integral that Stoke's theorem gives may be easy. Hard to say without seeing the specific problem.

i want to prove that the magnitude of curl is the line integral around a region perpendicular to the curl vector.

Last edited:

1. What is a parametric equation?

A parametric equation is a set of equations that express the coordinates of a point in terms of one or more parameters, such as time or distance.

2. How is a circle defined by a parametric equation?

A circle can be defined by a parametric equation by using the cosine and sine functions to generate points on the circle. This is often expressed in the form x = r cos(t) and y = r sin(t), where r is the radius of the circle and t is the parameter.

3. How do you make a circle perpendicular to a vector?

To make a circle perpendicular to a vector, you can use the cross product between the vector and a unit vector in the z-direction to find the normal vector of the circle. Then, you can use the parametric equations x = r cos(t), y = r sin(t), and z = k, where k is the normal vector, to create a circle perpendicular to the original vector.

4. What is the significance of a circle perpendicular to a vector?

A circle perpendicular to a vector is significant because it represents a circular path around the vector, with the vector being the axis of rotation. This is useful in applications such as 3D graphics and animation.

5. How can a circle perpendicular to a vector be used in physics?

A circle perpendicular to a vector can be used in physics to represent circular motion around an axis. This is commonly seen in rotational motion, such as the motion of a spinning top or a planet orbiting around the sun.