Some help with this differentiation question thanks

In summary, when finding the indicated partial derivatives frss and frst for the function f(r,s,t) = r ln(rs^2t^3), it is important to note that the order of differentiation can change depending on the continuity of the partial derivatives. Additionally, the product rule must be used when differentiating with respect to r. The final answer for frss is -2s^-2.
mikecrush
some help with this differentiation question thanks
Question :
Find the indicated partial derivative . frss , frst

f(r,s,t) = r ln (rs^2t^3)

differentiating with respect to r gave

s^2t^3
1* ----------
rs^2 t^3

but this is not correct something is missing according to the answer sheet

after getting the fr correct then only i can proceed to frss and frst

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Remind me of the order of differentiation. For example, does frst mean take the derivative with respect to r then s then t, or does it mean take the derivative with respect to t then s then r? I ask because I've seen both ways used, and it sometimes changes from book to book. So double check in your book.

Also, if you're taking that derivative with respect to r, then you need to use the product rule.

n!kofeyn said:
Remind me of the order of differentiation. For example, does frst mean take the derivative with respect to r then s then t, or does it mean take the derivative with respect to t then s then r? I ask because I've seen both ways used, and it sometimes changes from book to book. So double check in your book.

Also, if you're taking that derivative with respect to r, then you need to use the product rule.

i have double checked my notes and i see that for continuous functions either way is applicable . but for this i believe starts from fr to frs then frss .

the final answer for frss should be -2s^-2

thanks

mikecrush said:
i have double checked my notes and i see that for continuous functions either way is applicable . but for this i believe starts from fr to frs then frss .

the final answer for frss should be -2s^-2

thanks

That's not true, and you have to be careful. Either way is applicable only if the partial derivatives exist and are continuous themselves (not just the original function) on the domain of your original function. In other words, you can only switch the order of partial differentiation if (in this case) all the third partial derivatives exist and are continuous. For this f, the natural log is only defined for values greater than 0, and so in this case, you can switch the order of integration because the only points at which your partial derivatives have a possibility of failing to exist are going to be where s, r, or t are zero.

Did you use the product rule like I suggested, and then take the other partial derivatives?

n!kofeyn said:
That's not true, and you have to be careful. Either way is applicable only if the partial derivatives exist and are continuous themselves (not just the original function) on the domain of your original function. In other words, you can only switch the order of partial differentiation if (in this case) all the third partial derivatives exist and are continuous. For this f, the natural log is only defined for values greater than 0, and so in this case, you can switch the order of integration because the only points at which your partial derivatives have a possibility of failing to exist are going to be where s, r, or t are zero.

Did you use the product rule like I suggested, and then take the other partial derivatives?

thanks for the heads up

I did the product rule part and natural log differentiates differently from normal differentiation is it ?

from the question above :
f(r,s,t) = r ln (rs^2t^3)

i differentiate fr first

i get

r(s^2t^3)
------------ + lnrs^2t^3
rs^2t^3

is this right ?

i am doing this from left to right .. fr then frs then frst , but can i do it from right to left too ?

thanks

Yes, that's correct. Left to right is fine. Both of the partial derivatives you need contain the fr, so you've done 1/3 of both problems already. It's just a messy problem either way.

thank you very much n!kofeyn , really appreciate your help

1. What is differentiation?

Differentiation is a mathematical process that involves finding the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable.

2. How is differentiation used?

Differentiation is used in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and economics, to analyze and model how variables change over time.

3. What is the purpose of differentiation?

The purpose of differentiation is to determine the instantaneous rate of change of a function, which can be used to find maximum and minimum values, slopes of tangent lines, and other important information about the function.

4. How do you differentiate a function?

To differentiate a function, you use rules and formulas to find the derivative of the function with respect to its independent variable. These rules include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule.

5. Can differentiation be applied to any type of function?

Yes, differentiation can be applied to any type of continuous function, including polynomial, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions. However, some functions may require more advanced techniques to differentiate.