Sidney the baby otter (video) CUTE

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Video
In summary: They can also hold their breath for a long time and they will eat pretty much anything.In summary, these two species of otter have different behaviors when it comes to taking food from humans. The ferret would have quickly taken every portable object and stashed them in a location where only he or she would be able to get at them easily. The toy trapped under the plastic basket would have been out of there in a second if Sidney was a ferret. Otters, on the other hand, are much more gregarious and will get close to humans to take food from their hands. Sea otters can be quite large and are able to hold their breath for a long time, making them dangerous predators.
turbo
Gold Member
There are some obvious differences in behavior between this little guy and a ferret kit. The ferret would have taken every portable object, and stashed them in a pile in a location where only he or she would be able to get at them easily. Also, ferrets manipulate things with their front paws and can open doors, drawers, latches, etc. The toy trapped under the plastic basket would have been out of there in a second if Sidney was a ferret.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJjeG4ZFn6E&feature=player_embedded

Physics news on Phys.org
Also having volunteered at an aquarium i can tell you that otters are viscous little ****** that you can't turn your back on (at least sea otters)
While as a yorkshireman I can confirm that ferrets are friendly and can be safely stored in your trousers.

Last edited:
Do these otters need constant access to water, or could they live well on land?

Otters mostly live on land, they only go into the water to catch fish.
Sea otters live in the water all the time

mgb_phys said:
otters are viscous little ****** that you can't turn your back on (at least sea otters)
VISCOUS? As in viscosity?

What do they do to you, exactly?

The otters that we have in our ponds and streams are very curious, and gregarious critters. There is a small pond where I sometimes go to catch a little fly-fishing and about every year, there is another brood of otters living there. The little ones get really close to my canoe, and kick their hind feet so they can get their heads and bodies out of the water as much as possible, to get a better look (fuzzy brown periscopes). Usually mama is barking at them and scolding them, but they are REALLY curious and try to ignore her for at least a while. They've got some pretty impressive teeth, so I've never been tempted to trap one and take it home.

arildno said:

I think mgb_phys is saying they're thick...like, stupid.

arildno said:
Damn autocomplete!

They will take food from your hand, or your hand - it's all protein, they aren't fussy.
They are also a bit aggressive when there are lady otters around - they have hairy chests and it's hard to swim with a gold medallion so they have to show off in other ways.

In the wild they are worse, they will go for divers that are in their territory. Sea otters can be fairly big - easily the size of a very large dog, have big teeth and swim better than you.

1. What type of otter is Sidney?

Sidney is a North American river otter, also known as a common otter.

2. Where was the video of Sidney filmed?

The video of Sidney was filmed at the Vancouver Aquarium in Canada.

3. How old is Sidney in the video?

Sidney is approximately 3 months old in the video.

4. What is the purpose of the video?

The video was created to showcase the cuteness of baby otters and to raise awareness about the conservation efforts for otters.

5. What is Sidney's favorite food?

Sidney's favorite food is fish, particularly herring and smelt.

Back