Non-linear chaotic dynamical systems and psychology?

In summary, there is a significant amount of research being done on the application of nonlinear chaotic dynamical systems to psychology, with some focusing on dysfunctional families and classroom situations. However, much of this research is qualitative in nature and lacks a concrete connection to chaos. Some researchers have also misunderstood what a chaotic dynamical system is. Despite this, these applications are being taught in universities as valid models.
s0l0m0nsh0rt
Does anyone know anything concrete about the application of nonlinear chaotic dyamical systems to psychology? I have come to find out that there is a substantial amount of research being done on this. I read some articles today where people were trying to apply this to dysfunctional families, classroom situations, etc... However there was some research which is more bioloigcal in nature, which is more believeable. But a large amount of it is all qualatative in nature, with only a very vague connection to chaos. It also seems to me that many of these "reseachers" have grossly misunderstood what a chaotic dynamical system is, and how you can tell wheater you have one or not.
These applications are being taught in Universities as valid models. wtf?
How can this be?!

**I miss the dinosaurs. -ss**

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I know of some work has been done on physiology - particularly on relationships between cardiac behavior and illness.

sigh...once again...was that my question?
Does the keyboard really make that interesting of a sound?

** I really really miss the dinosaurs- ss **

1. What exactly are non-linear chaotic dynamical systems?

Non-linear chaotic dynamical systems are mathematical models used to describe complex, dynamic systems that are highly sensitive to initial conditions. This means that small changes in the initial conditions can lead to drastically different outcomes. These systems are characterized by unpredictable and seemingly random behavior, making them difficult to study and understand.

2. How are non-linear chaotic dynamical systems related to psychology?

Non-linear chaotic dynamical systems have been applied to the study of various psychological phenomena, such as decision-making, emotion regulation, and social interactions. These systems provide a framework for understanding the complex and often unpredictable nature of human behavior and cognition.

3. Can non-linear chaotic dynamical systems be used to predict human behavior?

While non-linear chaotic dynamical systems can provide insights into the underlying dynamics of human behavior, they are not able to accurately predict individual behavior. This is due to the highly sensitive nature of these systems and the difficulty in controlling all the variables that can influence behavior.

4. Are there any limitations to using non-linear chaotic dynamical systems in psychology?

One limitation is that these systems are highly abstract and may not fully capture the complexities of human behavior. Additionally, they require a large amount of data and computational power, which can be challenging to obtain in psychological research. Moreover, the interpretation of the results from these models can be subjective and may vary among researchers.

5. How can non-linear chaotic dynamical systems be applied in practical settings?

Non-linear chaotic dynamical systems have been used in various practical applications, such as predicting stock market trends, weather patterns, and disease outbreaks. In psychology, these systems can be applied to better understand and predict group behavior, such as in crowds or social movements. They can also be used to develop interventions for individuals with mental health disorders by identifying patterns in their behavior.