Explanation of laser intensity

In summary, the concept of spot size in lasers relates to the beam diameter, which is often approximated as a Gaussian beam and is inversely proportional to the beam spread angle. The spot size is determined by the resonator geometry and manufacturing constraints. In terms of classical physics, increasing the spot size decreases the intensity, while in modern physics, it may relate to the number of photons. Diffraction can be analyzed in terms of particles hitting within a known probability area, contributing to the overall spot size.
Thermodave
I've become interested in lasers and this question came to me today. Let's say we have two 10 mW lasers. One has a spot size of 1mm and one has a spot size of 10mm. Therefore, the first laser has a greater intensity. In classical physics we are told the wave amplitude increases. In modern physics we have more photons. Do either of these concepts relate to spot size (cross sectional area of a laser beam)? Also, what determines the spot size of a laser from a functional point of view? - Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
Since the lasers have equal power output, increasing the beam diameter decreases the intensity (units [W/m^2]). Note that in photometry, the quantity of [W/m^2] is *irradiance* (or emittance, or exitance) while 'intensity' is [W/sr].

Laser beams are often approximated as "Gaussian beams", and so the minimum spot size is inversely proportional to the beam spread angle (divergence). I'm not sure what sets the beam diameter at the laser aperture, but it may be related to the resonator geometry and manufacturing constraints.

Andy Resnick said:
Since the lasers have equal power output, increasing the beam diameter decreases the intensity (units [W/m^2]). Note that in photometry, the quantity of [W/m^2] is *irradiance* (or emittance, or exitance) while 'intensity' is [W/sr].

Yes, I realize this. Let me clarify as my title was misleading. I interpret light as a particle traveling in the x-direction yet oscillating in the y-direction. The "particle" hits within an area of known probability. Do this thousands of times and you have a dot, right? I was wondering if this had anything to do with spot size.

Sure- that's how diffraction is analyzed in terms of particles.

1. What is laser intensity?

Laser intensity refers to the power or strength of a laser beam. It is a measure of the amount of energy carried by the photons in the beam per unit area per unit time.

2. How is laser intensity measured?

Laser intensity is typically measured in watts per square centimeter (W/cm2) or milliwatts per square millimeter (mW/mm2). It can also be measured in terms of the peak power or average power of the laser beam.

3. What factors affect laser intensity?

Laser intensity can be affected by a number of factors, including the power of the laser source, the size and shape of the laser beam, and the distance from the laser source to the target. It can also be influenced by the optical properties of the materials through which the laser beam is passing.

4. How does laser intensity impact laser cutting and welding?

The intensity of a laser beam plays a crucial role in both cutting and welding processes. A higher laser intensity allows for more precise and efficient cutting and welding, while a lower intensity may result in slower and less accurate cuts or welds.

5. Can laser intensity be controlled?

Yes, laser intensity can be controlled through various methods such as adjusting the power of the laser source, using focusing lenses to manipulate the size and shape of the laser beam, and using mirrors or other optical components to direct the beam to the desired location.