How to calculate matrixA^100 manually

• Thread starter promisedhl
  • Start date
In summary, the person is asking for help with calculating A^100 of a 3*3 matrix without using MATLAB. They are considering different methods such as checking if the matrix is diagonalizable or using the Jordan form. They also mention using the minimal polynomial to express A^100. They thank everyone for their responses.
promisedhl
hi guys...my teacher wants me to calculate A^100 of a 3*3 matrix by hand...i can't use MATLAB for this...how do i do it...i can't imagine multiplying 100 time...
help me

Physics news on Phys.org
(A^50)^2

But most likely this is a specific matrix, with interesting properties that make it easy to calculate power no matter how high.

Check if the matrix is diagonalizable or, if it isn't, use the Jordan form to write it as a sum of a diagonal plus nilpotent matrix.

thanks guys...will try all

Yet another way is to use the minimal polynomial to express A^100 in terms of I, A, A^2.

i actually did it by finding the eigen values of the matrix...
anyways thank u guys for responding

1. How do I calculate matrixA^100 manually?

To calculate matrixA^100 manually, you will need to first raise the matrixA to the second power, then to the fourth power, and so on until you reach the desired power of 100. This can be done by multiplying matrixA by itself repeatedly, keeping track of the resulting matrix at each step until you reach the 100th power.

2. Do I need any special tools or software to calculate matrixA^100 manually?

No, you do not need any special tools or software. This calculation can be done using basic matrix multiplication and basic arithmetic operations.

3. Can I use a calculator to calculate matrixA^100 manually?

Yes, you can use a calculator to perform the necessary calculations for raising matrixA to the 100th power. However, it is important to ensure that the calculator has enough memory and processing power to handle the large numbers involved in matrix multiplication.

4. Is there a formula or shortcut for calculating matrixA^100 manually?

Unfortunately, there is no formula or shortcut for calculating matrixA^100 manually. The only way to accurately calculate this is by following the steps of repeated matrix multiplication.

5. Can I use matrices of any size to calculate matrixA^100 manually?

Yes, you can use matrices of any size to calculate matrixA^100 manually. However, larger matrices will require more calculations and may be more time-consuming.