Power supply input discharge voltage

In summary, the speaker is seeking help and opinions regarding their experiments on measuring the discharge voltage of a single power supply using a digital chart recorder. They found that when 16 identical power supplies are connected in parallel, the discharge time is longer than when only one power supply is connected. They are questioning the validity of this result and are looking for clarification from experts in the field.
StuartHopkin
I would appreciate any help, opinions or explanations on this as I am receiveing many different views currently.

I measure the discharge voltage of a single power supply (laptop ac charger) using a digital chart recorder. On a trial and error basis I achieve the data as close as possible to the mains cycle peak.

The results show that the live to neutral charge drops to 100v at 117.8mS and is fully discharged at 900mS

I then plug 16 identical power supplies into a single power strip and in turn into a single socket.

The results show that the live to neutral charge drops to 100v at 500mS and is fully discharged at 3000mS.

The problem is that I have a graph showing the above test results, but I have been told by two separate electrical engineers that when the power supplies are connected in parrallel to a single power supply, physics dictates that the discharge should be constant and the time to discharge should be identical.

If anyone can shed any light on the above, either for or against their argument I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is the input resistance of your chart recorder? Perhaps it forms a significant part of the discharge path when only one power supply is connected, shortening the discharge time.

for your question. The discharge voltage of a power supply is an important factor to consider, as it can affect the performance and reliability of electronic devices. The results you have obtained from your testing indicate that the discharge time and voltage vary when the power supplies are connected in parallel, which is not consistent with the expectation that the discharge would be constant.

This could be due to several factors, such as differences in the internal circuitry or components of each power supply, variations in the input voltage from the mains, or differences in the load on each power supply. It is also possible that the power strip and single socket are not able to handle the combined load of 16 power supplies, leading to fluctuations in the discharge voltage.

I would recommend further investigation to determine the exact cause of the varying discharge time and voltage when the power supplies are connected in parallel. This could involve analyzing the circuitry of each power supply and measuring the input voltage from the mains during the tests. It may also be helpful to test the power supplies individually and compare the results to when they are connected in parallel.

Overall, while the results may not align with the expectations of constant discharge, it is important to consider all possible factors and conduct further experiments to fully understand the behavior of the power supplies.

I would approach this situation by first considering the principles of electricity and the behavior of power supplies. From what is described, it seems that the discharge voltage of a single power supply is affected by the mains cycle peak and the time to discharge varies depending on the number of power supplies connected in parallel. This is not surprising as the load on the power supply increases when more devices are connected, leading to a decrease in the discharge voltage and potentially a longer time to discharge.

However, the question of whether the discharge should be constant and the time to discharge identical when multiple power supplies are connected in parallel is a valid one. In theory, if the power supplies are identical and connected in parallel, they should all behave in the same way. There may be external factors such as differences in the wiring or connections that could affect the discharge behavior, but these should be minimal if the setup is done correctly.

To investigate this further, I would recommend conducting a controlled experiment where all external factors are kept constant and only the number of power supplies connected in parallel is changed. This would provide more accurate and reliable data to compare and determine the consistency of the discharge behavior.

Additionally, it may be helpful to consult with other experts in the field or conduct research on similar experiments to see if there are any established explanations or theories for the observed behavior. This could also provide insights into any potential factors that may be influencing the results.

In conclusion, while the results may seem unexpected, it is important to approach this situation with a scientific mindset and gather more evidence before coming to a conclusion. Keep an open mind and continue to seek out different perspectives and explanations to fully understand the behavior of the power supplies in this setup.

1. What is power supply input discharge voltage?

Power supply input discharge voltage, also known as input leakage voltage, is the amount of residual voltage that remains in a power supply when it is switched off or unplugged. It is typically measured in millivolts (mV) and is important to consider when designing circuits and selecting power supplies.

2. Why is power supply input discharge voltage important?

Power supply input discharge voltage is important because it can affect the performance and reliability of electronic components. If the input discharge voltage is too high, it can damage sensitive components and cause malfunctions in the circuit. It is important to select a power supply with a low input discharge voltage to ensure the safe operation of electronic devices.

3. How is power supply input discharge voltage measured?

Power supply input discharge voltage is typically measured using a multimeter. The multimeter should be set to measure DC voltage and the positive lead should be connected to the positive terminal of the power supply, while the negative lead should be connected to the negative terminal. The multimeter will then display the input discharge voltage in millivolts (mV).

4. What factors can affect power supply input discharge voltage?

There are several factors that can affect power supply input discharge voltage, including the design and quality of the power supply, the type of electronic components connected to the power supply, and the ambient temperature. It is important to carefully select a power supply that is suitable for the specific application to ensure a low input discharge voltage.

5. How can power supply input discharge voltage be reduced?

There are a few ways to reduce power supply input discharge voltage, such as using a power supply with a low input discharge voltage rating, adding a discharge resistor to the circuit, or using a relay or switch to disconnect the power supply when it is not in use. It is important to consider these options when designing circuits to minimize the impact of input discharge voltage on electronic components.