Riemann Zeta Function Z(z)

In summary: This then gives the values for positive even numbers using the functional equation.In summary, the Riemann Zeta Function is a mathematical function that is used in Quantum Mechanics and can be used to calculate sums of series. It involves Bernoulli numbers, which are found using complex analysis and the functional equation of the Riemann Zeta Function. The specific sum of 1/n^2 can be proven using a contour integral and the Euler product for sine.
der.physika
I was wondering how do you calculate the Riemann value, of a Riemann Zeta Function, for example the riemann zeta function for n = 0, is -1/2, which envolves a bernoulli number (what is a bernoulli number and what roll does it play in the Riemann Zeta Function), can anyone explain that to me? Also what do you apply the riemann zeta function to, besides Quantum Mechanics.

And also how do you go about finding the sum of a series (non geometrical)?

[tex]\zeta(2n)=\frac{(-1)^{n+1}B_{2n}(2\pi)^2^n}{(2)(2n)!} [/tex]

[tex]
\frac{\pi^2}{6}=\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^2}
[/tex]

Specifically, this one I want to know the proof for this sum, can anyone nice enough out there, please show me!
Step by step process

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The proof that I have seen uses a bit of complex analysis on the contour integral found in Riemann's original paper. http://www.maths.tcd.ie/pub/HistMath/People/Riemann/Zeta/EZeta.pdf is a good translation (the integral is found in the middle of the third page).
The integrand there is a power of x multiplied by the function whose derivatives give the Bernoulli numbers, so Cauchy's Generalized Integral Theorem can then find values for negative integers. Then the functional equation is used to find the values for positive even numbers.
I hope that other people can help you find a more elementary proof, but this is all I've seen.

The specific sum you ask about was found by Euler by expanding the product for sine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallis_product#Derivation_of_the_Euler_product_for_the_sine also has this proof on the same page) in terms of powers of x then equating coeficients with the Taylor series for sine.

What is the Riemann Zeta Function Z(z)?

The Riemann Zeta Function Z(z) is a mathematical function that was first introduced by Bernhard Riemann in the 19th century. It is defined as the infinite sum of the reciprocal of all positive integers raised to a given power z. In other words, it is a function that takes a complex number z as input and outputs a complex number.

What is the significance of the Riemann Zeta Function Z(z)?

The Riemann Zeta Function Z(z) has significant applications in number theory and complex analysis. It is closely related to the distribution of prime numbers and has connections to various other mathematical concepts such as the Riemann hypothesis, which remains one of the most famous unsolved problems in mathematics.

What is the domain and range of the Riemann Zeta Function Z(z)?

The Riemann Zeta Function Z(z) is defined for all complex numbers except for z = 1, where it diverges. Its range is also a complex number, which means that its output can have both real and imaginary components.

What is the functional equation of the Riemann Zeta Function Z(z)?

The functional equation of the Riemann Zeta Function Z(z) relates its values at complex numbers z and 1-z. Specifically, it states that Z(z) = 2zπz-1sin(πz/2)Γ(1-z)Z(1-z), where Γ(z) is the gamma function. This equation is useful for extending the function to the entire complex plane.

What are the applications of the Riemann Zeta Function Z(z) outside of mathematics?

The Riemann Zeta Function Z(z) has been used in physics and engineering to solve problems related to wave propagation, statistical mechanics, and quantum field theory. It has also been applied in signal processing and cryptography. Additionally, it has been used in music theory to study harmonic relationships between musical notes.