A possible way to produce thrust from ZPE?

• Thread starter alpha_wolf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thrust
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of vacuum fluctuations and the potential for harnessing their energy. One idea proposed is to use a V-shaped assembly of plates to create a small net force, possibly in the direction of the V's "mouth." The conversation also mentions the possibility of using resonance to design a vacuum-fluctuation machine. However, it is noted that the total energy of vacuum fluctuations in the universe is considered to be zero. The conversation also references research being conducted by the California Institute of Physics and Astronomy, but their credibility is questioned.
alpha_wolf
Take two plates of a suitable material, and attach them at one end at a 90 degree angle, such that they form a V shaped assembly. The plates will block some of the vacuum flactuation frequencies inside the V, so a Casimir-like force will appear on the two plates. But since the plates are at an angle, I suspect that the forces should not be exactly opposite each other, and should therefore not cancel out. If this is correct, that would produce a small amount of net force, probably in the direction of the V's "mouth".

I think this should be easily testable by using sound waves as a model... Have any such tests been made? Have anyone done calculations on this geometry? Any other comments/thoughts on the matter?

Physics news on Phys.org
I did some more thinking on this. It would seem that for the described geometry, all forces excerted on the system by the vacuum flactuations would cancel out. But perhaps a different geometry could be designed, where that does not occur...

alpha_wolf said:
I did some more thinking on this. It would seem that for the described geometry, all forces excerted on the system by the vacuum flactuations would cancel out. But perhaps a different geometry could be designed, where that does not occur...

Is the total energy of the vacuum fluctuations in the universe exactly zero? Or does there exist a slight non-zero energy contribution TO the universe? If so, then it should be possible to model the effect, then experimentally tap into the energy and amplify it. I suspect that resonance will play a big part in the design of a vacuum-fluctuation machine.

Russell E. Rierson said:
Is the total energy of the vacuum fluctuations in the universe exactly zero? Or does there exist a slight non-zero energy contribution TO the universe? If so, then it should be possible to model the effect, then experimentally tap into the energy and amplify it. I suspect that resonance will play a big part in the design of a vacuum-fluctuation machine.

The answer is... zero [give or take a quantum fluctuation]. See

http://www.sciam.com/askexpert_question.cfm?articleID=00045486-6600-1C71-9EB7809EC588F2D7&catID=3

Russell E. Rierson said:
Are these people conducting serious research?

http://www.calphysics.org/aboutcipa.html

ZPE:

http://www.calphysics.org/zpe.html

Perhaps you might get a copy of a paperback book called "Does Time Exist?" by Henri Salles (2002 by 1st Books Library). What Henri has sorted out on his own seems to be a good match for what B. Haisch has been doing for some time. I have no clue if these two know each other.

Russell E. Rierson said:
Are these people conducting serious research?
http://www.calphysics.org/aboutcipa.html
ZPE:
http://www.calphysics.org/zpe.html
The authors of the Scientific American article are respected authorities who write textbooks and articles in mainstream science. I will pay more attention to the 'California Institute of Physics and Astronomy' [CIPA] when they publish a 'paper' that is more fact than fiction. You would be well advised to check the credibility of your sources before citing them.

1. What is ZPE and how can it produce thrust?

ZPE stands for zero-point energy, which is the lowest possible energy that a quantum mechanical physical system may have. This energy is present in all matter and can be harnessed through various methods to produce thrust. One possible way is by utilizing the Casimir effect, which is the attraction between two uncharged plates in a vacuum due to fluctuations in the zero-point energy.

2. How is ZPE different from other energy sources?

ZPE is different from other energy sources because it is theoretically infinite and does not require any fuel or external source to generate energy. It is also different from traditional forms of energy, such as fossil fuels or nuclear power, because it is based on the principles of quantum mechanics rather than classical physics.

3. Is it possible to create a perpetual motion machine using ZPE?

No, it is not possible to create a perpetual motion machine using ZPE. While ZPE is theoretically infinite, it still follows the laws of thermodynamics, which state that energy cannot be created or destroyed. Therefore, any machine that claims to run on ZPE would still need an external energy source to function.

4. What are the potential applications of using ZPE for thrust?

The potential applications of using ZPE for thrust are vast and could revolutionize the field of space travel. By harnessing ZPE, spacecraft could potentially achieve higher speeds and travel longer distances without the need for refueling. It could also have applications in other industries, such as transportation and energy production.

5. Are there any current experiments or research being conducted on using ZPE for thrust?

Yes, there are several ongoing experiments and research projects focused on using ZPE for thrust. These include studies on the Casimir effect and other methods of harnessing ZPE, as well as the development of new technologies and materials to better utilize ZPE for propulsion. However, this is still a relatively new and unexplored field, and more research and experimentation are needed before it can be fully utilized.