Christoffel connection in Kaluza Klein Theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the study of the Kaluza-Klein theory and the calculation of the Einstein Field equations in 5 dimensional vacuum space-time. It also mentions the "cylindrical condition" proposed by Kaluza and the confusion regarding the calculation of certain Christoffel symbols. The speaker requests for a book or paper that explicitly expresses all possible connections in Kaluza-Klein theory. A paper is suggested for further reference.
off-diagonal
Now I'm just start to study the Kaluza-Klein theory from http://arxiv.org/abs/grqc/9805018.
I try to calculate the Einstein Field equations in 5 dimensional vacuum space-time.

we start with 5D metric tensor,

[tex]
\hat{g}_{AB}=\begin{pmatrix}
g_{\alpha}_{\beta}+k^{2}\phi^{2}A_{\alpha}A_{\beta} & k\phi^{2}A_{\alpha}\\
k\phi^{2}A_{\beta}&\phi^{2}
\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

where A,B indices run from 0,1,2,3,4 and [tex]\alpha,\beta[/tex] run from 0,1,2,3

Next, I have to calculate Christoffel connection from:
[tex]\displaystyle \hat{\Gamma}^{A}_{BC}=\frac{1}{2}\hat{g}^{AD}(\partial_{B}{\hat{g}_{CD}}+\partial_{C}{\hat{g}_{BD}}-\partial_{D}{\hat{g}_{BC}})[/tex]

Kaluza propose the extra condition called "cylindrical condition" that says all derivative involve with the fifth coordinate must vanish. so we can conclude that
[tex]
\partial_4{\hat{g}_{AB}}= \partial_4{\hat{\Gamma}^{A}_{BC}}=0
[/tex]
then all the connection would be
[tex]
\displaystyle\hat{\Gamma}^{4}_{44},\hat{\Gamma}^{4}_{4\alpha},\hat{\Gamma}^{\alpha}_{44},\hat{\Gamma}^{\alpha}_{4\beta},\hat{\Gamma}^{4}_{\alpha\beta},\hat{\Gamma}^{\alpha}_{\beta\gamma}
[/tex]

Here's is my questions, I confuse about the calculation of the last two connection [tex]\hat{\Gamma}^{4}_{\alpha\beta},\hat{\Gamma}^{\alpha}_{\beta\gamma}[/tex]
for an example:
[tex]
\displaystyle \hat{\Gamma}^{\sigma}_{\alpha\beta}=\frac{1}{2}\hat{g}^{\sigma D}(\partial_{\alpha}{\hat{g}_{\beta D}}+\partial_{\beta}{\hat{g}_{\alpha D}}-\partial_{D}{\hat{g}_{\alpha\beta}})
[/tex]

I'm confused about index sum "D". Can I just replace index D with 4 dimensional (Greek)index or I have to sum it to 4D index plus the fifth-D ones.
[tex]
\displaystyle \hat{\Gamma}^{\sigma}_{\alpha\beta}=\frac{1}{2}\hat{g}^{\sigma D}(\partial_{\alpha}{\hat{g}_{\beta D}}+\partial_{\beta}{\hat{g}_{\alpha D}}-\partial_{D}{\hat{g}_{\alpha\beta}})=\frac{1}{2}[\hat{g}^{\sigma \lambda}(\partial_{\alpha}{\hat{g}_{\beta \lambda}}+\partial_{\beta}{\hat{g}_{\alpha\lambda}}-\partial_{\lambda}{\hat{g}_{\alpha\beta}})+\hat{g}^{\sigma 4}(\partial_{\alpha}{\hat{g}_{\beta 4}}+\partial_{\beta}{\hat{g}_{\alpha 4}})
[/tex]
or just
[tex]\displaystyle \hat{\Gamma}^{\sigma}_{\alpha\beta}=\frac{1}{2}\hat{g}^{\sigma\lambda}(\partial_{\alpha}{\hat{g}_{\beta \lambda}}+\partial_{\beta}{\hat{g}_{\alpha\lambda}}-\partial_{\lambda}{\hat{g}_{\alpha\beta}})[/tex]

which one is correct?
otherwise you may be just told me a book or paper that the explicit form of all possible connections in Kaluza-Klein theory were expressed. I would be appreciate.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the EM field is going to act on a charged test body, then there must be some Christoffel symbols involving the 5th dimension. So I'd guess your first conjecture is right.

Have a look at this paper. It has a bit on the kinematics of K-K theory ( but that is not it's main interest ).

Attachments

• kaluza-klein 0311015.pdf
    120 KB · Views: 298

1. What is the Christoffel connection in Kaluza-Klein theory?

The Christoffel connection, also known as the Levi-Civita connection, is a mathematical tool used in Kaluza-Klein theory to describe the curvature of space-time. It is a type of connection that satisfies the metric compatibility condition, meaning that it is compatible with the metric tensor of the theory.

2. How is the Christoffel connection related to the extra dimensions in Kaluza-Klein theory?

In Kaluza-Klein theory, the Christoffel connection is used to describe the geometry of the extra dimensions. The extra dimensions are represented by additional components in the metric tensor, and the Christoffel connection is used to calculate their corresponding curvature.

3. What is the significance of the Christoffel connection in Kaluza-Klein theory?

The Christoffel connection is a crucial tool in Kaluza-Klein theory as it allows for the incorporation of extra dimensions into the theory. It also allows for the unification of gravity with other fundamental forces, such as electromagnetism, by incorporating the extra dimensions into the metric tensor.

4. How is the Christoffel connection calculated in Kaluza-Klein theory?

The Christoffel connection is calculated using the metric tensor and its derivatives. The metric tensor is a mathematical object that describes the geometry of space-time, and its derivatives are used to calculate the curvature of space-time in Kaluza-Klein theory.

5. Can the Christoffel connection be extended to other theories besides Kaluza-Klein theory?

Yes, the Christoffel connection is a general mathematical tool used in differential geometry to describe the curvature of space-time. It can be extended to other theories, such as general relativity, to study the effects of gravity on space-time.