Rotational Motion of a Mass on a Table: Solutions

In summary: But I don't know how to determine its location.In summary, the problem involves a rule with mass m and length l on a frictionless table. A boost or impulse I is applied at a distance d from the center of mass, causing the rule to rotate and translate. The first question asks about the point of rotation, which is likely the instantaneous axis of rotation. The second and third questions ask about the velocity and angular velocity of the ruler's center of mass. The final question asks for the distance d that would result in the minimum instantaneous displacement of the opposite side of the ruler. The given equations are w = v*r and I = variation momentum, but more information is needed to determine the direction of the resulting velocity.
benf.stokes

Homework Statement

We have a rule of mass m and length l lying on a table without friction.

We give a boost I to the rule at a distance d from the center of mass so that it now has a rotation and a translation.

1) The rule rotates about which point?

2) Determine the velocity, vm, of the center of mass.

3) Determine the angular velocity, w, of the ruler.

4)What should be the distance d so that the instantaneous displacement ds of the oposite side of the ruler be a minimum?

Homework Equations

w=v*r
I= Variation momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the answer to 1 is that it rotates about it center of mass but I don't have a clue about the other ones

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct on 1.

Another word for "boost I" is "impulse I". Does this mean something to you?

Yes impulse is the change in momentum but how do I know the direction of the resulting velocity?

Put a ruler on a table and give it a sharp flick with your finger. That's the impulse. In what direction is the impulse? In what direction does the ruler move?

benf.stokes said:
I think the answer to 1 is that it rotates about it center of mass but I don't have a clue about the other ones
I suspect they are asking about the instantaneous axis of rotation, which won't be the center of mass. (Since it's also translating.)

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion refers to the movement of an object around a fixed point or axis.

2. How is rotational motion different from linear motion?

Rotational motion involves circular or curved movement, while linear motion involves movement in a straight line.

3. How do you calculate the rotational motion of a mass on a table?

The rotational motion of a mass on a table can be calculated using the equation τ = Iα, where τ is the torque, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration.

4. What factors affect the rotational motion of a mass on a table?

The rotational motion of a mass on a table can be affected by factors such as the mass of the object, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the applied torque.

5. How can rotational motion be applied in real-life situations?

Rotational motion is commonly seen in objects such as wheels, gears, and propellers. It is also used in various machines and devices, such as engines, turbines, and motors.