Divergence Theorem: Check Function w/y^2, 2x+z^2, 2y

In summary, the divergence theorem is used to check the function \mathbf{v} = y^2\mathbf{\hat{x}} + (2xy + z^2) \mathbf{\hat{y}} + (2yz)\mathbf{\hat{z}} using the equations \int_\script{v} (\mathbf{\nabla . v }) d\tau = \oint_\script{S} \mathbf{v} . d\mathbf{a} . The dot product becomes \frac{\partial}{\partial x} y^2 + \frac{\partial}{\partial y} ( 2xy + z^2) + \frac{\partial}{\partial z
vorcil

Homework Statement

Check the divergence theorem using the function:

[tex] \mathbf{v} = y^2\mathbf{\hat{x}} + (2xy + z^2) \mathbf{\hat{y}} + (2yz)\mathbf{\hat{z}} [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] \int_\script{v} (\mathbf{\nabla . v }) d\tau = \oint_\script{S} \mathbf{v} . d\mathbf{a} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

taking the dot product it becomes

[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x} y^2 \mathbf{\hat{x}} + \frac{\partial}{\partial y} ( 2xy + z^2) \mathbf{\hat{y}} + \frac{\partial}{\partial z} (2yz)\mathbf{\hat{z}} [/tex]

so by only differentiating the certain parts:

i get y^2 + 2x + z^2 + 2y,
however the dot product of del and my vector v, should've been 2(x+y)
how come I've got y^2 and z^2?

does [tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x} y^2 [/tex] not equal y^2?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your divergence should not actually include any vectors. It's just a number. So you should have
[tex]
\frac{\partial}{\partial x} y^2 + \frac{\partial}{\partial y} ( 2xy + z^2) + \frac{\partial}{\partial z} (2yz)
[/tex]

Once you take the dot product

Then it looks like you differentiated your unit vectors as though they were variables

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x} y^2[/tex] is 0, not y2

vorcil said:

Homework Statement

Check the divergence theorem using the function:

[tex] \mathbf{v} = y^2\mathbf{\hat{x}} + (2xy + z^2) \mathbf{\hat{y}} + (2yz)\mathbf{\hat{z}} [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] \int_\script{v} (\mathbf{\nabla . v }) d\tau = \oint_\script{S} \mathbf{v} . d\mathbf{a} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

taking the dot product it becomes

[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x} y^2 \mathbf{\hat{x}} + \frac{\partial}{\partial y} ( 2xy + z^2) \mathbf{\hat{y}} + \frac{\partial}{\partial z} (2yz)\mathbf{\hat{z}} [/tex]
this isn't correct, you applied a dot product, it should be
[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x} y^2 + \frac{\partial}{\partial y} ( 2xy + z^2) + \frac{\partial}{\partial z} (2yz)[/tex]

so by only differentiating the certain parts:

i get y^2 + 2x + z^2 + 2y,
however the dot product of del and my vector v, should've been 2(x+y)
how come I've got y^2 and z^2?

does [tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x} y^2 [/tex] not equal y^2?

to see where you went wrong, what is
[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial y} z^2 [/tex]

lanedance said:
to see where you went wrong, what is
[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial y} z^2 [/tex]

Is it 0? is that because z^2 is a constant since it's being differentiated with respect to y?
and d/dx of a constant is 0?

-

now knowing that [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial y} z^2 = 0[/tex]
I think I can solve the rest,
[tex]
\int_\script{v} (\mathbf{\nabla . v }) d\tau = \oint_\script{S} \mathbf{v} . d\mathbf{a}
[/tex]
[tex]
\frac{\partial}{\partial x} y^2 + \frac{\partial}{\partial y} ( 2xy + z^2) + \frac{\partial}{\partial z} (2yz)
[/tex]
so
[tex] \oint_{\script{V}} 2(x+y) d\tau [/tex]

taking the constant out and making tau dxdydz = [tex] 2 \int_0^1 \int_0^1 \int_0^1 (x+y) dxdydz [/tex]

separating the three integrals out, (i think I can do that?)

dx part: [tex] \int_0^1 (x+y)dx = \left[ \frac{x^2}{2}+y \right]_0^1 = (\frac{1}{2} + y)[/tex]

dy part, using the result of the dx part:
[tex] \int_0^1 (\frac{1}{2} + y) dy = \left[ \frac{1}{2} + \frac{y^2}{2} \right]_0^1 = (\frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{2})[/tex]

dz part using the result of the dy part:
[tex] \int_0^1 (1)dz = \left[ 1*z\right]_0^1 = 1 [/tex]

bringing in the constant 2, of what I brought outside the integral,

[tex] \int_{\script{V}} \mathbf{\nabla . v} d\tau = 2[/tex]

so that means the integral of a derivative over the vector is equal to 2,
and to confirm the divergence theorem,

[tex]
\int_\script{v} (\mathbf{\nabla . v }) d\tau = \oint_\script{S} \mathbf{v} . d\mathbf{a}
[/tex]

I also need to integrate over a closed surface for the cube?

that means i need to solve for 6 integrals,

vorcil said:
Is it 0? is that because z^2 is a constant since it's being differentiated with respect to y?
and d/dx of a constant is 0?

yes that is the definition of a partial derivative, the other variables are held constant

It does indeed require you to compute 6 double integrals over the surface of the unit cube.

vorcil said:
separating the three integrals out, (i think I can do that?)

dx part: [tex] \int_0^1 (x+y)dx = \left[ \frac{x^2}{2}+y \right]_0^1 = (\frac{1}{2} + y)[/tex]

not sure why you would separate it, anyway though you get the right answer (luck), the integral isn't correct. y is treated as a constant, what is teh integral of a constant?

lanedance said:
not sure why you would separate it, anyway though you get the right answer (luck), the integral isn't correct. y is treated as a constant, what is teh integral of a constant?

oh right, I should've separated and differentiated each bit individually,
so \int x dx, |_0^1
then added \int y dy |_0^1 to it
and then multiplied by int dz,

no i meant
[tex] \int_0^1 dx y = yx|_0^1 = y(1-0) = y[/tex]

just treat it as
[tex] 2 \int_0^1 \left(\int_0^1 \left(\int_0^1 (x+y) dx\right)dy\right)dz [/tex]

1. What is the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem is a mathematical concept in vector calculus that relates the flow of a vector field through a closed surface to the behavior of the vector field within the volume enclosed by that surface.

2. How is the Divergence Theorem used?

The Divergence Theorem is used to convert a surface integral over a closed surface into a volume integral of the vector field within the enclosed volume. It is particularly useful in solving problems involving fluid flow and electric fields.

3. What is the function being checked in this problem?

The function being checked is f(x,y,z) = (y^2, 2x+z^2, 2y).

4. How is the check function related to the Divergence Theorem?

The check function is used to determine if the conditions of the Divergence Theorem are met for a given vector field. In this case, the check function is used to verify that the divergence of the vector field is equal to the surface integral of the vector field over the closed surface.

5. What are the parameters for the check function in this problem?

The parameters for the check function in this problem are the partial derivatives of the function f(x,y,z) with respect to x, y, and z. These are used to calculate the divergence of the vector field and compare it to the surface integral of the vector field over the closed surface.