Computer Science - LSD Radix Sort in Java

In summary, the speaker is requesting for java based pseudo-code to help them code a radix sort. They are specifically sorting an array of Integers using an array of ArrayLists as their 'buckets'. They have searched the internet, but have been unable to find something that fits their needs. They are allowed to use helper methods, but were advised to keep it simple and the only thing passed to the method is the array itself.
RyMi
Title kind of explains what I'm trying to do here. I know exactly how radix sort is SUPPOSED to work but I just don't have a clue how to go about coding it.

Basically what I am asking for is some java based pseudo-code just to get me in the right direction.

I'm specifically sorting an array of Integers and using an array of ArrayLists as my 'buckets'.

I've searched all over the Internet but I just can't find anything that is what I need. It's always either way too complicated with separate classes or 5 or more helper methods or the pseudo-code is too vague to really give me an idea of how to go about coding it.

We are allowed to use helper methods but we were told that we don't NEED one and to not make it too complicated.

The only thing passed to the method is the array itself.

Thanks in advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org
figured it out

1. What is LSD Radix Sort in Java?

LSD Radix Sort is a sorting algorithm commonly used in computer science to sort a list of elements in ascending or descending order. It is based on the concept of sorting by digits, where each element is sorted based on its individual digits from right to left. In Java, this sorting algorithm is implemented using the radix sort method.

2. How does LSD Radix Sort work?

LSD Radix Sort works by first grouping all the elements based on their rightmost digit. Then, the elements are sorted according to that digit. This process is repeated for each digit, moving from right to left, until all the digits have been sorted. The result is a sorted list of elements in ascending or descending order.

3. What are the advantages of using LSD Radix Sort in Java?

One advantage of using LSD Radix Sort in Java is that it has a linear time complexity, meaning that it can sort a list of elements in linear time, regardless of the size of the list. This makes it a more efficient sorting algorithm compared to others that have a quadratic time complexity.

In addition, LSD Radix Sort is a stable sorting algorithm, meaning that elements with the same value in the list will maintain their relative order after being sorted. This can be important in certain applications.

4. When should LSD Radix Sort be used?

LSD Radix Sort is most useful when sorting a list of integers or strings that have a fixed length. It is also a good choice when the range of values in the list is relatively small, as it can be more efficient than other sorting algorithms in this scenario.

However, LSD Radix Sort may not be the best choice if the list contains elements with varying lengths or complex data structures, as it may not be as efficient in these cases.

5. Are there any limitations to using LSD Radix Sort in Java?

One limitation of using LSD Radix Sort in Java is that it requires extra space to store the temporary arrays used in the sorting process. This can be a concern when dealing with large lists of elements.

In addition, LSD Radix Sort only works with elements that can be compared based on their individual digits. This means that it may not be suitable for sorting other types of data, such as objects or floating-point numbers.