Help Solve Physics Problem: Find Max Displacement w/ Speed & Spring Constant

• Thread starter punjabi_monster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, to find the maximum displacement of an object with a maximum speed of 0.322 m/s on a horizontal spring with k=955 N/m and a frictionless surface, you can use the formula Et=1/2kA^2 where Et is total energy, k is the spring constant, and A is the amplitude (maximum displacement). This can be derived from the Conservation of Mechanical Energy Law, which states that total mechanical energy is equal to elastic potential energy plus kinetic energy. To solve for A, you will need to use the formula E_{t}=E_{P_{e}}+E_{K}=\frac{1}{2}kx^{2}+\frac{1}{2}mv^{
punjabi_monster
An object vibrates at the end of a horizontal spring (k=955 N/m) along a frictionless surface. The speed of the object is 0.250 m/s when its displacement is 0.145 m. What is the maximum displacement of the object if its maximum speed is 0.322 m/s?

I understand to find max displacement, you use the formula:
Et=1/2kA^2

Now that you have to find Et, you can't use teh formula Et=1/2mvo^2. or can't find Ek, as you don't have the mass.

Can someone please tell me how to find Et. tahnks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If by Et you mean total energy...

[tex]E_{t}=E_{P_{e}}+E_{K}=\frac{1}{2}kx^{2}+\frac{1}{2}mv^{2}[/tex]

where x is diplacement and Epe is elastic potential energy. From that you can find mass, and should be able to solve the problem from there.

but you don't have the total energy or the mass, so therefore the equation has two unknowns? right...

This is a conservative system [frictionless surface], so apply the Conservation of Mechanical Energy Law, Remember Mechanical Energy will be the same on any points of this system.

That's basically what I was getting at. I guess I should have been more explicit. Total mechanical energy will be elastic potential energy plus kinetic energy. Follow my instructions from above, but find total mech. energy in terms of the mass (keep that variable). Sorry about my previous error.

Last edited:

What is the equation for finding maximum displacement with speed and spring constant?

The equation is x = (mv2)/k, where x is the maximum displacement, m is the mass of the object, v is the initial velocity, and k is the spring constant.

How do I know which values to use for mass, velocity, and spring constant?

You will need to gather the necessary information from the problem or experiment. The mass and velocity can usually be directly measured, while the spring constant may need to be calculated using other known values.

Can I use this equation for any type of spring?

Yes, this equation can be used for any type of spring as long as the spring constant is known. However, it may not be applicable for non-ideal springs that do not follow Hooke's law.

What if I am given the maximum displacement and need to find the initial velocity?

In this case, you can rearrange the equation to solve for the initial velocity: v = √(xk/m). Make sure to use the same units for all variables.

How accurate is this equation?

The accuracy of the equation depends on the accuracy of the measured values and the assumptions made, such as the spring following Hooke's law. It is always important to double-check your calculations and take into account any potential sources of error.