How dense could Earth's atmosphere potentially be?

• Thread starter Uncle Al
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Planetary
In summary, Earth's atmosphere could potentially become quite a bit thicker than it is now, with a possible 45 bar atmosphere if all the CO2 from the crust was released. However, it is unlikely to reach the extreme levels of Venus due to Earth's current insolation levels.
Uncle Al
How dense could Earth's atmosphere potentially be, as opposed to how dense it is now? Assume that Earth's mass and position in the solar system do not change.

Al

Astronomy news on Phys.org
you might start by looking at venus

Well, there is quite a lot of CO2 trapped away in the Ocean...and even more of it trapped away in Calcite deposits. Also, there's a lot of methane trapped in pockets around the world...I would say the Earth's Atmosphere could become quite a bit thicker than it is now...I wouldn't be able to give any numbers though.

Uncle Al said:
How dense could Earth's atmosphere potentially be, as opposed to how dense it is now? Assume that Earth's mass and position in the solar system do not change.

Al

Do you mean just how much atmosphere could we pack onto the Earth or how much could conceivably outgas from rocks and other sources?

I mean how much could Earth hold onto with gravity and insolation at present levels.

There's an equation (or set of equations) for this, but I can't remember what they are.

Al

Uncle Al said:
I mean how much could Earth hold onto with gravity and insolation at present levels.

There's an equation (or set of equations) for this, but I can't remember what they are.

Al

Not that I know of. Stephen Dole ("Habitable Planets for Man") fitted an empirical equation to the atmospheres of earth, Venus and Mars, but it was of dubious value since it used old data for Mars and Venus.

Earth can hang on to a much more substantial atmosphere, since we know Venus can at twice the insolation. There's about enough CO2 in the crust for a 45 bar atmosphere, thus a bit less than Venus. If the oceans boiled then there would be about 300 bar of atmosphere at about 650 K. But that's unlikely at current insolation levels.

1. What is a planetary atmosphere?

A planetary atmosphere refers to the layer of gases that surrounds a planet or other celestial body. These gases are held in place by the planet's gravitational pull and play a crucial role in regulating temperature and protecting the planet from harmful radiation.

2. What are the main components of a planetary atmosphere?

The main components of a planetary atmosphere vary depending on the specific planet, but generally include nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide, and other trace gases. For example, Earth's atmosphere is primarily composed of nitrogen (78%) and oxygen (21%).

3. How does a planet's atmosphere affect its climate?

A planet's atmosphere greatly influences its climate by regulating temperature and precipitation. The composition of gases, such as carbon dioxide and water vapor, can trap heat and contribute to the greenhouse effect. Changes in atmospheric conditions can also lead to variations in weather patterns.

4. Can a planet's atmosphere be altered?

Yes, a planet's atmosphere can be altered by natural processes or human activities. For example, volcanic eruptions can release large amounts of gases into the atmosphere, while human activities such as burning fossil fuels can contribute to the increase of greenhouse gases.

5. How do scientists study planetary atmospheres?

Scientists study planetary atmospheres through a variety of methods, including remote sensing using telescopes and spacecraft, and in-situ measurements from probes and rovers. They also use computer models to simulate and predict atmospheric conditions on different planets.