Help with resolving along a plane

• Thread starter horseman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
In summary, the individual is facing difficulty in resolving along a plane while dealing with a pipe inclined at an angle and supported by two other pipes. They have calculated the normal reaction force, but are unsure of how to resolve along the plane without any mass moving on it. They are seeking advice on what distances to include in their equation. However, the given information does not make sense.
horseman
Hi i have a problem withresolving along a plane, i have a pipe inclined at theta degrees to the horizontal thet is being held in position by two pipes, one that is positioned a from its weight under the pipe and one that is positioned b from the weight on top of the pipe. i have taken moments about the pipe that is located over the pipe and found an expression for its normal reaction force but no i need to resolve along the plane and have no mass moving along the plane so i don't know what kind of distances i need to include in my equation? If anyone could advise me on this the help would be greatly apprieciated

Physics news on Phys.org
This question, as stated, makes no sense at all. How about copying the problem exactly as it was given?

Resolving along a plane involves breaking down forces into components that are parallel and perpendicular to the plane. In this case, the plane is the inclined pipe. To resolve forces along the plane, you will need to consider the weight of the pipe and the normal reaction force from the supporting pipes.

First, draw a free body diagram of the inclined pipe and label all the forces acting on it. This will include the weight of the pipe, the normal reaction force from the supporting pipe at a distance a, and the normal reaction force from the supporting pipe at a distance b.

Next, you will need to resolve these forces into components that are parallel and perpendicular to the inclined pipe. The weight of the pipe will have a component parallel to the plane, which will contribute to the force that is causing the pipe to slide down the plane. The normal reaction forces from the supporting pipes will also have components that are parallel and perpendicular to the plane. The perpendicular component of these forces will balance out the weight of the pipe, while the parallel component will contribute to the force that is keeping the pipe in place.

To find the distance that needs to be included in your equation, you will need to consider the distance between the point of application of the forces and the point where you are resolving the forces along the plane. For example, if you are resolving forces at the top of the pipe, then the distance between the point of application of the normal reaction force from the supporting pipe at a distance b and the top of the pipe will need to be included in your equation.

I hope this helps you understand how to resolve forces along a plane. It is important to carefully consider all the forces and their components in order to accurately solve the problem. If you are still having trouble, I would suggest seeking the guidance of a tutor or your instructor for further assistance. Good luck!

1. What is the concept of resolving along a plane?

The concept of resolving along a plane refers to the process of breaking down a vector into its components along a specific plane or direction. This allows for a better understanding and analysis of the vector's motion or force in a given situation.

2. How is resolving along a plane different from resolving in the x and y directions?

Resolving along a plane involves breaking down a vector into its components along a specific plane, whereas resolving in the x and y directions involves breaking it down into its components along the x and y axes. Resolving along a plane allows for a more precise analysis in situations where the vector's direction is not aligned with the x and y axes.

3. What are the steps for resolving along a plane?

The steps for resolving along a plane include: 1) identifying the plane or direction along which the vector needs to be resolved, 2) determining the angle between the vector and the plane, 3) using trigonometric functions to find the components of the vector along the plane, and 4) adding the components together to find the resultant vector along the plane.

4. In what situations is resolving along a plane useful?

Resolving along a plane is useful in situations where the vector's direction is not aligned with the x and y axes, such as in inclined planes, pulley systems, or forces acting at an angle. It allows for a more accurate analysis of the vector's motion or force in these situations.

5. Can resolving along a plane be used for three-dimensional problems?

Yes, resolving along a plane can be used for three-dimensional problems by identifying a specific plane or direction in which the vector needs to be resolved. This can be done by using a three-dimensional coordinate system and determining the angle between the vector and the plane in question.