Finding the Indefinite Integral of a Radical Expression

In summary, the integral \int{\sqrt{1+e^x}dx} can be rewritten using trigonometric substitution and integration by parts to yield the expression 2\sqrt{1+e^x} + \ln\left|\frac{\sqrt{1+e^x}-1}{\sqrt{1+e^x}+1}\right|+C. However, it is important to carefully check the steps of the integration to ensure accurate results.
Zach Knight

Homework Statement

[tex]\int{\sqrt{1+e^x}dx}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\int{uv'}=uv-\int{u'v}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I rewrote the integrand as
[tex]\sqrt{1+(e^{x/2})^2}[/tex]
and used the trigonometric substituition [tex]e^{x/2}=tan(\theta)[/tex], which simplified the radical to
[tex]\int{\sqrt{1+e^x}dx}=2\int{csc(\theta)sec^2(\theta)d\theta}[/tex]
From there I used integration by parts, with [tex]u=csc(\theta)[/tex], and [tex]v'=sec^2(\theta)[/tex], which gave me
[tex]2\int{csc(\theta)sec^2(\theta)d\theta}=2(sec(\theta)+\int{sin^2(\theta)d\theta})[/tex]
Solving that, and undoing all of my substitutions, I found that
[tex]\int{\sqrt{1+e^x}dx}=2sec(arctan(e^{x/2}))+arctan(e^{x/2})-\frac{1}{2}sin(arctan(e^{x/2}))[/tex]
WolframAlpha, on the other hand, gives
[tex]\int{\sqrt{1+e^x}dx}=2\sqrt{1+e^x}-2arctanh^{-1}(\sqrt{1+e^x})+A[/tex],
and I have no idea how. Even after rewriting the trig-inverse trig pairs as algebraic expressions, I still don't get close to what Wolfram gave. Can somebody show me where I went wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can simplify such expressions as [tex]\sin\left(\sin^{-1}(x)\right)=x[/tex] and [tex]\sin\left(\cos^{-1}(x)\right)=\sqrt{1-x^2}[/tex]
Similarly, you can simplify your expressions.

They are equivalent.

Wolfram|Alpha's answer should be in terms of arctanh, not arctanh^-1.

Yep. As a rule of thumb, if you have a different answer to the answer in the back of the book or wolfram alpha, you should always check to see if they truly are different.

It's as though you're telling me the answer is 22 but I'm telling you the answer is 4, and then you start worrying that your answer is wrong :tongue2:

jhae2.718 said:
They are equivalent.

Wolfram|Alpha's answer should be in terms of arctanh, not arctanh^-1.

Sorry, I combined arctanh and tanh-1
Anyway, how are the two equivalent? I'm not very familiar with hyperbolic trigonometry.

Actually, I think I may be mistaken. (It's late here!)

I'll do the integral and post what I get.

Zach Knight said:
From there I used integration by parts, with [tex]u=csc(\theta)[/tex], and [tex]v'=sec^2(\theta)[/tex], which gave me
[tex]2\int{csc(\theta)sec^2(\theta)d\theta}=2(sec(\theta)+\int{sin^2(\theta)d\theta})[/tex]

This step is not correct. The integral of sec^2(theta) is tan(theta) and the derivative of csc(theta) is -csc(theta)*cot(theta), so the product of the two should be -csc(theta).

I get:
[tex]\int\sqrt{1+e^x}dx = 2\sqrt{1+e^x} + \ln\left|\frac{\sqrt{1+e^x}-1}{\sqrt{1+e^x}+1}\right|+C[/tex].

ideasrule said:
This step is not correct. The integral of sec^2(theta) is tan(theta) and the derivative of csc(theta) is -csc(theta)*cot(theta), so the product of the two should be -csc(theta).

Ah, that's it! Somehow, I got the derivative of csc(theta) as -sin(theta)cos(theta). I guess it's time for me to go to bed :rofl:

What is an indefinite integral?

An indefinite integral is a mathematical concept in calculus that represents the antiderivative of a function. It is also known as a primitive or a general integral. It is denoted by the symbol ∫ and is used to find the original function when its derivative is given.

How is an indefinite integral different from a definite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration and gives a numerical value, while an indefinite integral has no limits of integration and gives a general function. In other words, a definite integral represents the area under a curve, while an indefinite integral represents the function that gives this area.

What is the process for solving an indefinite integral problem?

The process for solving an indefinite integral problem involves finding the antiderivative of the given function. This can be done using various techniques such as u-substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. Once the antiderivative is found, the constant of integration is added to the solution to make it a general function.

Why is the constant of integration necessary in an indefinite integral?

The constant of integration is necessary because when taking the derivative of a function, the constant disappears. Therefore, when finding the antiderivative, a constant must be added to account for all possible solutions. This constant represents all the possible functions that could have the same derivative.

What are some real-world applications of indefinite integrals?

Indefinite integrals have many real-world applications, such as finding the distance traveled by an object given its velocity function, calculating the total cost of goods given the rate of change of cost, and determining the amount of medication in a patient's system based on their rate of elimination. They are also used in physics, engineering, and economics to solve various problems involving rates of change and accumulation.