Teflon-steel friction coefficients

In summary: I think I'll just try and find data myself.In summary, the coefficient of friction between steel and teflon can vary depending on the contact stress and lubricants used.
serbring
Hi guys,

I need the dynamic friction coefficient between steel and teflon. Do you know where I can get it?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Take these with a grain of salt (ie, YOU double check their sources to make sure they're correct before just using the values).

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/friction-coefficients-d_778.html"
and
http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2004/GarvinTam.shtml"

It looks like you can reasonably assume 0.04 for both [itex]\mu_{s}[/itex] and [itex]\mu_{k}[/itex] for most teflon-X interactions.

Last edited by a moderator:
AIR&SPACE said:
Take these with a grain of salt (ie, YOU double check their sources to make sure they're correct before just using the values).

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/friction-coefficients-d_778.html"
and
http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2004/GarvinTam.shtml"

It looks like you can reasonably assume 0.04 for both [itex]\mu_{s}[/itex] and [itex]\mu_{k}[/itex] for most teflon-X interactions.

Thanks but I haven't found in your links the dynamic friction coefficient of teflon-X interactions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi sebring. The coefficient of friction is a function of contact stress, lubricants, and the type of additives and reinforcement fibers. Additives include things like molydisulfide which is a commonly used dry lubricant. Dynamic friction coefficient can vary from about 0.4 if contact stress is low (aprox. 20 psi or less) to about 0.02 for high contact stress (aprox. 1000 psi or more). That's obviously a very wide range so if it's important, you really need to test it given the actual conditions you will have.

serbring said:
Thanks but I haven't found in your links the dynamic friction coefficient of teflon-X interactions.

Just so I'm clear, my notation of "teflon-X" is supposed to mean teflon-(some other surface).

With this in mind, it should be pretty easy to find the coefficients. Let me know if you still have trouble.

AIR&SPACE said:
Just so I'm clear, my notation of "teflon-X" is supposed to mean teflon-(some other surface).

With this in mind, it should be pretty easy to find the coefficients. Let me know if you still have trouble.

I have understood this, but I haven't found that data, please may you show me where you get this in your links?

thanks

Q_Goest said:
Hi sebring. The coefficient of friction is a function of contact stress, lubricants, and the type of additives and reinforcement fibers. Additives include things like molydisulfide which is a commonly used dry lubricant. Dynamic friction coefficient can vary from about 0.4 if contact stress is low (aprox. 20 psi or less) to about 0.02 for high contact stress (aprox. 1000 psi or more). That's obviously a very wide range so if it's important, you really need to test it given the actual conditions you will have.

I need to simulate it in a multibody software, so I can take into account some special effects in a formula. In my case no lubrificants are used and unfortunately I have no data about the teflon type, I know just roller dimensions.
However I have found a report about stainless steel-teflon friction and I couldn't imagine it has a so wide range: from 0.05 to 0.2 :(
Do you have some data or formulas you think it could be useful for me

serbring said:
I have understood this, but I haven't found that data, please may you show me where you get this in your links?

thanks

Check attachments

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,236
  • Capture2.jpg
    Capture2.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,360
AIR&SPACE said:
Check attachments

Oh thanks, but in the second link there are just static friction in dried contact and in greased contact, instead in the other one there is just friction for teflon-different kind of teflon :(

however thanks a lot

1. What is the friction coefficient between Teflon and steel?

The friction coefficient between Teflon and steel varies depending on the specific type of Teflon and steel being used. Generally, the coefficient ranges from 0.04 to 0.4, with lower values indicating lower friction and better lubrication.

2. How does the friction coefficient between Teflon and steel compare to other materials?

The friction coefficient between Teflon and steel is relatively low compared to other materials. For example, the coefficient between steel and steel is around 0.6, making Teflon a much better lubricant for reducing friction.

3. Does the friction coefficient between Teflon and steel change over time?

In most cases, the friction coefficient between Teflon and steel remains relatively constant over time. However, factors such as temperature, pressure, and surface roughness can affect the coefficient and cause it to change.

4. How can the friction coefficient between Teflon and steel be measured?

The friction coefficient between Teflon and steel can be measured using a tribometer, which is a device that applies a known load and measures the resulting friction force. This data is then used to calculate the coefficient of friction.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the friction coefficient between Teflon and steel?

Yes, several factors can affect the friction coefficient between Teflon and steel, including the surface roughness of the materials, temperature, pressure, and the presence of any contaminants. Additionally, the type and thickness of the Teflon coating can also impact the coefficient.