German researchers claimed to figured out the Eye evolutionary history

In summary, the German researchers claimed to figured out the "eye" evolutionary history. They say that light-sensitive cells originated within the brain and slowly migrated outwards to form eyes. This is similar to Darwin's reasoning that any form of eye is an evolutionary advantage and therefore given even a truly-awful eye, you would expect it to develop over time into something useful. This claim flies in the face of scientific laws, as Darwin was both racist and sexist. However, Hank Hanegraaff rebuked the man's claims and explained that Darwinian evolution flies in the face of scientific laws.
aychamo
German researchers claimed to figured out the "Eye" evolutionary history

Hey guys;

There is an article on slashdot about German researchers that have claimed to have figured out the evolutionary history of the eye. Here is the quote from slashdot:

http://science.slashdot.org/science/04/11/01/1344237.shtml?tid=134&tid=14
Sox2 writes "SciScoop is running a story about researchers in Germany who claim to have solved the "mystery" surrounding the evolution of the mamalian eye. The work, published in Science, goes some way to answering the issues raised in the "intelligent design" debate that has become the mainstay of creationist thinking."

The link to the research (I think):
http://www.embl.org/aboutus/news/press/2004/press28oct04.html [Broken]

I'm in a huge rush right now, so I haven't read the article. I have an ecology exam I'm not preparred for so I have to go do that:)

BTW, here is a quote I read on slashdot that I liked:
The article is essentially saying 'we found the smoking gun'; that light-sensitive cells originated within the brain, and migrated slowly outwards to form eyes. Ergo, the famous Darwin reasoning 'any form of eye is an evolutionary advantage, and therefore given even a truly-awful eye you would expect it to develop over time into something useful' is at least plausible. Evolution at work within a large-enough population.

I remember reading in 'PCW' back when I was at school (20 years or so ago :-) of a graphical demonstration (written in Mac Basic) of the evolution of an eye lens, using statistical population approximation to demonstrate that once even a slight advantage is gained, the population moves towards a better and better eye. It drew the lens on the screen as it was being calculated iteration by iteration - fascinating stuff. I ported it to my Atari XL/Turbo Basic - Macs were a little out of my price range :-)

Anyway, take it easy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
This little post may get deleted for drifting into religion, but I can't resist quoting from the first of your links:

If there was no literal first man and woman, then there was no talking snake to tempt them into eating an apple. If that didn't happen, there was no literal fall (the fall had to be by CHOICE, protestants don't accept that God just made humans imperfect from the start). If there was no literal fall, then mankind is not in need of redemption. If there is no need for redemption, there is no need for Christ. This would basically invalidate protestant Christianity.

That's just the way it was drummed into my head at church when I was a kid. We may have been poor blue-collar sorts compared to the upwardly-mobile liberal Christians such as the Episcopals, but by gosh, we could discern the truth! :tongue2:

Ohh.. now I get it. Never really understood why Christians were so against evolution.. cleared it up, thanks Janitor!

I think it was only a matter of time before they found the eye's precusor cells. Even during my short stint in bioinformatics, there was a lot of similarity between proteins that have different functions. Its almost as if proteins are just permutations of each other... permutations, mutations, natural selection - all makes sense.

Today I caught part of Hank Hanegraaff's call-in Christian talk show, 'The Bible Answer Man.' A man who called to talk to Hank seemed to be implying that Paul was misogynistic. Part of Hank's rebuttal--and though I am going by memory, I think I have pegged his words precisely--was: "Darwinian evolution flies in the face of scientific laws... Darwin was both racist and sexist."

He was also a minister.. but I won't hold that against him :)

1. What is the significance of the German researchers' claim about the Eye evolutionary history?

The German researchers' claim about the Eye evolutionary history is significant because it sheds new light on the origin and evolution of one of the most complex and important organs in the animal kingdom. Understanding the history and development of the eye can provide insights into the evolution of vision and its role in survival and adaptation.

2. How did the German researchers come to their conclusion about the Eye evolutionary history?

The German researchers used a combination of genetic sequencing, fossil analysis, and computer simulations to study the genetic and physical changes that occurred during the evolution of the eye. They also compared their findings to existing theories and evidence from other research studies.

3. What did the German researchers discover about the origin of the Eye?

The German researchers discovered that the Eye likely evolved from a light-sensitive patch of cells in a common ancestor of all animals, and then underwent multiple stages of development and refinement over millions of years. They also found evidence that the eye may have evolved independently in different animal lineages.

4. How does this research impact our understanding of evolution?

This research adds to our understanding of the complex and gradual process of evolution and the role of natural selection in shaping the development of organisms. It also highlights the interconnectedness of all living things and the potential for similar traits to develop in different species through convergent evolution.

5. What are the potential future implications of this research?

Further research into the Eye evolutionary history could lead to a better understanding of eye-related diseases and conditions, as well as advancements in biotechnology and bioengineering. This research also highlights the importance of preserving biodiversity and studying the evolutionary history of different species for future scientific discoveries.