Video timing, calculating blanking

• Thread starter kallisti5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Video
In summary, the conversation is about creating a video card driver and the difficulty in determining the H/V Blanking interval start/end for standard timing information. The individual has tried calculating the blanking start/end pixels but is unsure if the calculations are correct. They are seeking advice on how to properly obtain this information for digital display driving.
kallisti5
I am writing a video card driver. One timing parameter I have to pass is H/V Blanking interval start/end.

I have all the standard timing information but can't figure out how to get the blanking start / end pixels.Here are my current calculations, I don't think their right however (you can ignore the c code, just posting it for clarity) Horiz:
// Calculate blanking
uint16 frontPorch = displayTiming.h_sync_start - displayTiming.h_display;
uint16 backPorch = displayTiming.h_total - displayTiming.h_sync_end;

uint16 blankStart = frontPorch - OVERSCAN;
uint16 blankEnd = backPorch;

Vert:
frontPorch = displayTiming.v_sync_start - displayTiming.v_display;
backPorch = displayTiming.v_total - displayTiming.v_sync_end;

blankStart = frontPorch - OVERSCAN;
blankEnd = backPorch;Thanks!
-- Alex

Engineering news on Phys.org
anorlunda said:
I just tuned into PF.
I don’t know about digital display driving but, if it were an analogue signal you want to drive, the timings of the video signal are all in the spec.. they differ between PAL and NTSC but the spec is easy to find. At the moment , I am in bright sunlight which makes googling hard for me on my dim screen.
Try “digital display driver timing” I don’t thing any actual calculations should be necessary.

Last edited:

1. What is video timing and why is it important?

Video timing refers to the synchronization of video signals to ensure proper display on a screen. It is important because without proper timing, the video may appear distorted or have artifacts, making it difficult to view.

2. How is video timing calculated?

Video timing is typically calculated using a formula that takes into account the number of scan lines, pixels per line, and refresh rate. This calculation helps determine the timing intervals for each video signal to ensure they are synchronized.

3. What is blanking in video timing?

Blanking refers to the interval between each video frame or line where no video signal is transmitted. This allows for the electron beam in a cathode ray tube (CRT) display to return to its starting position before the next frame or line is displayed.

4. How does blanking affect video quality?

Blanking is important for maintaining the integrity of the video signal and preventing distortions on the screen. Without blanking, the electron beam can overlap with the previous frame or line, causing ghosting or other visual artifacts.

5. What are some common issues with video timing and blanking?

Common issues with video timing and blanking include incorrect timing calculations, interference from other electronic devices, and aging components in the video signal path. These issues can result in distorted or unstable video display.