Is China's New Aircraft Carrier Design Real or Just a Virtual Concept?

In summary: You are correct that the deck could not have helicopter pads below it. That would increase the risk of a crash.
Ranger Mike
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I got this from a friend over the internet...is this design practical or just some virtual design?

Attachments

• china carrier.jpg
    china carrier.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 656
Engineering news on Phys.org
That would be a little un-nerving for the pilots coming in for a landing, with the Phalanx gun and rocket launcher pointed right at you... :rolleyes:

is this is quantum leap above anything we have on the drawing board?
better speed, larger capacity, much more stable, etc. Definitely a " blue-water " long reach vessel.
Plus they can service their nuke sub fleet in-between the twin hulls ( sight unseen ) or even launch amphibious opps from same. It will be launched in half the time it takes the usa at just one-third the cost. Add the new chinese stealth fighter bomber ( naval version already flight testing ) in the mix and you have the makings of a formidable weapons system indeed..
Also look at that extra ''parking and readiness'' station between both hull structures.. And of course the launching and landing capabilities from the utilisation of twin flight decks at oncesix of these vessels ( two pacific, two atlantic, one indian ocean and one med sea ) would be a pretty good diplomatic " big stick ". Note : The chinese are already drilling for oil off cuba. Brazil and venezuela. Can they build a fleet of these things ?

A few facts: The chinese have completed the world's biggest dam ( three gorges ), the world's longest over-water bridge ( 65 times as much steel as in the eiffel tower ). Constructed a 15.000 ' high railroad into tibet (all considered major engineering feats).China's new a/c carrier could be twice as fast as anything we have, plus the stability of a catamaran type hull will greatly reduce the pitching, yawing and swaying common to our present designs.

Attachments

• chin 1.jpg
    chin 1.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 598
  • chin 2.jpg
    chin 2.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 564
  • chin 3.jpg
    chin 3.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 616
So what is the evaluation..is this thing a possibility?

Attachments

• chin 4.jpg
    chin 4.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 616
berkeman said:
That would be a little un-nerving for the pilots coming in for a landing, with the Phalanx gun and rocket launcher pointed right at you... :rolleyes:

That's not an issue, unless the pilots forget which end of the deck they are supposed to touch down on :smile:

Ranger Mike said:
A few facts: The chinese have completed the world's biggest dam ( three gorges ), the world's longest over-water bridge ( 65 times as much steel as in the eiffel tower ). Constructed a 15.000 ' high railroad into tibet (all considered major engineering feats).

United States has already considered stealth warships, so your concern that the Chinese are somehow more technologically advanced is unfounded, not that they do not know how to do things. Did you look at the links I provided... It is quite often an allocation of funds that drives the decision to steer in that direction.

As for the dam and railroad, yes the plan was Chinese but the vast majority of engineering work was done by outside consulting firms from other countries who had the know how, so your post should give them the credit due.

256bits - good points all...the post was copied from one of those pesky FORWARDS that friends can not help but send around the net...I do think the basic design bears scrutiny from an Engineers critical Eye...hence ..my post.

.thanks..
rm

I'm skeptical about the amount of force applied as the result of one hull having the front overhanging the trough of a wave with the peak supporting the stern...and the opposite happening on the other hull.

That would be an extreme amount of twist force.

Last edited:
I don't think we'll have to worry about Chinese super-carriers any time soon - catamaran or otherwise. Their first carrier (now in sea-trials) is an old refurbished Soviet carrier.

I wouldn't call the pictures posted a "design" in any sense of the term; they're at best a shot-in-the-dark concept. It's a 3-D model that's designed to look pretty, it's had no technical feasability studies applied. I'm also suspicious of your claim "it will be launched in half the time it takes the usa at just one-third the cost." Wild guesses at a price for such an early concept are pure speculation (and it sounds to me like those estimates are bad speculation at that).

I agree with what turbo said, China won't be building chinese-designed supercarriers any time soon.

Last edited:
For each runway only one aircraft can take-off/land, which the current supercarrier design the U.S. has the capability of doing already but the current design is more material efficient. Other than size and capacity I don't really see any advantage militarily of this design.

Also, I'm not 100% sure but I don't think you can have helicopter pads below the deck -> higher risk of crashing I believe

Mech Engineer..the post is NOT mine..
as I posted to 256bits above...it is an email forward i got in my email..and I copied it and posted it...

IT IS NOT MY CLAIM

and I highly value your opinion!
...just wanted to clear this up...

$10 says it sinks.

It won't matter how powerful it is after the crew goes crazy from lead poisoning on account of all the lead paint...

maybe they use asbestos in construction?

turbo said:
I don't think we'll have to worry about Chinese super-carriers any time soon - catamaran or otherwise. Their first carrier (now in sea-trials) is an old refurbished Soviet carrier.
And its a diesel. Agreed.

I got this email aswell. Maybe somewhere down the line, we have mutual friends lol

1. What is the purpose of the new China aircraft carrier?

The new China aircraft carrier, known as the Type 001A, is primarily intended for defensive purposes and to enhance China's naval presence and capabilities. It is also seen as a symbol of China's growing military and economic power.

2. How does the new China aircraft carrier compare to other countries' aircraft carriers?

The Type 001A is China's second aircraft carrier, with the first being the Liaoning, which was purchased from Ukraine in 1998 and refurbished. It is smaller and less advanced compared to the US's Nimitz-class carriers, but is on par with other countries' carriers such as India's INS Vikramaditya and Russia's Admiral Kuznetsov.

3. Can the new China aircraft carrier operate nuclear-powered aircraft?

No, the Type 001A is a conventionally powered aircraft carrier, meaning it is powered by diesel engines and gas turbines, and does not have nuclear reactors like the US's carriers. However, China is reportedly working on developing a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier in the future.

4. How many aircraft can the new China aircraft carrier carry?

The Type 001A has a reported capacity of carrying up to 40 aircraft, including fixed-wing fighter jets and helicopters. This is less than half of the capacity of the US's Nimitz-class carriers, which can carry up to 90 aircraft.

5. What is the significance of the new China aircraft carrier in the global political landscape?

The new China aircraft carrier has sparked concerns and tensions among neighboring countries and the US, as it is seen as a symbol of China's growing military and economic power and its expanding naval presence in the South China Sea. It also signifies China's efforts to modernize and strengthen its military capabilities, which can have implications for global politics and security.