Calculate Normal Force Exerted on Hands During Push-Ups

In summary, the person in the picture is in a push-up position with L1 representing the distance from their feet to their center of gravity and L2 representing the distance from their center of gravity to their hands. To find the normal force exerted by the floor on each hand, one must use the equation for center of gravity and torque. The sum of the two torques must be 0 in order for the person to not move around the pivot point. Using this information, one can set up an equation to solve for the force.
SnowOwl18
Not quite sure what to do about this one:

-----A person whose weight is W = 601N is doing push-ups. Assume L1 = 0.859m and L2 = 0.353m. Calculate the normal force exerted by the floor on each hand, assuming that the person holds this position. ------

I can't get the picture on here, but basically it shows a person in the postion of a push up. L1 is from his feet to the center of gravity (in his stomach in the picture). L2 is from the center of gravity to his hands. I know the equation for center of gravity is Xcg = W1X1 + W2X2 +... / W1 + W2 +...
I'm not really sure what to do with this. I thought maybe I would calculate for the center of gravity and just multiply by gravity to get the normal force...? Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know about torques? Consider the torque done by gravity about the pivot point (your feet) and compare to how much torque at the hands you must do to counteract this.

hmmm...i do know about torque...that it equals the product of the force and the lever arm...but i didn't consider using it for this problem...hmmm

It's definitely the way to go. The sum of the two torques must be 0 if he's not moving around the pivot.

So the sum of the two torques is 0... so Fd + Fd = 0...(601)(0.859) + (601)(0.353) =0...i need another equation to put on the other side to solve for the force...so Fd=0...i'm looking for force...but i need a distance...i thought i could use 0.353...but i just tried this and i got the wrong answer. hmmm

1. What is normal force?

Normal force is the force that a surface exerts on an object that is in contact with it. It is always perpendicular to the surface and prevents objects from passing through or sinking into the surface.

2. How is normal force calculated during push-ups?

During push-ups, the normal force exerted on the hands is equal to the weight of the body being lifted. This is because the hands are in contact with the ground, and the ground exerts an equal and opposite force on the hands according to Newton's third law of motion.

3. Does the normal force change during different phases of a push-up?

Yes, the normal force changes during different phases of a push-up. At the beginning of the push-up when the body is close to the ground, the normal force is higher because the weight of the body is closer to the hands. As the body moves away from the ground, the normal force decreases.

4. How can normal force be increased during push-ups?

The normal force during push-ups can be increased by increasing the weight of the body or by increasing the angle of incline. For example, doing push-ups with a weighted vest or on an elevated surface will increase the normal force exerted on the hands.

5. Why is it important to calculate normal force during push-ups?

Calculating normal force during push-ups can help in understanding the forces involved in this exercise and how it affects the body. It can also be used to track progress and determine the level of difficulty for different variations of push-ups. Additionally, it is important for ensuring proper form and preventing injuries during the exercise.