A car starts from rest

• Thread starter kayjaydee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Rest
In summary, the problem involves a car starting from rest, accelerating at a constant rate, with a displacement of x and a final velocity of v. Using the equation v^2=vo^2 + 2a(x-xo), the final velocity can be found. If the displacement is increased to 9x, the final velocity can be calculated by plugging in the result from the first part.
kayjaydee

Homework Statement

A car starts from rest, accelerates at a constant rate, has a displacement of x and a final velocity of v. What is the final velocity (in terms of v) if the displacement was 9x?

Homework Equations

v^2=vo^2 + 2a(x-xo)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello KJD, welcome to PF! You must have some idea! :smile:.
Seems like a 2-part problem. First find v, given:
A car starts from rest, accelerates at a constant rate, has a displacement of x and a final velocity of v.

What would v be in this case, using the equation you provided?

What is the final velocity in terms of v if the displacement was 9x?

Now, jack up x by 9, using your result from the first part. Does this help?

Thank you so much! I think I understand now! I just didn't know where to start. Thanks again :smile:

1. How does a car start from rest?

A car starts from rest by engaging the ignition and initiating the combustion process in the engine. This creates a series of controlled explosions that push the pistons and start the engine.

2. What happens when a car starts from rest?

When a car starts from rest, the engine begins to rotate and the transmission engages, allowing the car to start moving forward. The fuel and air mixture is also regulated to provide the necessary power for the car to move.

3. Why does a car need to start from rest?

A car needs to start from rest in order to get the engine running and provide power for the car to move. This is necessary because the engine needs to be rotating at a certain speed in order to function properly and move the car forward.

4. What is the role of the starter in a car starting from rest?

The starter is responsible for engaging the engine's flywheel and initiating the combustion process. It also provides the necessary rotational force to get the engine running and the car moving.

5. How long does it take for a car to start from rest?

The time it takes for a car to start from rest can vary depending on factors such as the type of car, engine condition, and temperature. On average, it takes about 2-3 seconds for a car to start from rest.