A set of algebraic operations producing unique results based on order?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a set of five algebraic functions that, when applied in any order, will produce unique results. These functions must be constrained to basic operations and the inputs and outputs must fall within certain limits. An example of such functions is requested, and bonus points will be awarded if the functions also produce unique results for any partial ordering.
KingNothing
I'm trying to find a set of five (5) algebraic functions a(x), b(x), c(x), d(x), and e(x) that for every order they can be applied, will produce a unique result. That is, a(b(c(d(e(x))))) should be different from e(d(c(b(a(x))))) for every possible x. And every other unique ordering should produce a unique result as well.

Constraints:
x is constrained to integers where 0 <= x <= (2^16 - 1).
The result of each ordering must be constrained to 0 <= result <= (2^32 - 1).
The functions may only contain basic operations: addition, subtraction, division and multiplication.

If you could provide an example of five such functions, it would help me greatly. I would love to do some further reading after I get a working example of said functions.

EDIT: Bonus points if the five functions also produce unique results for any partial ordering. That is, a(b(d(x))) must be different than d(e(x)), and so on.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You are looking for five functions ##f_i\, : \,\mathbb{Z}_2^{16} \longrightarrow \mathbb{Z}_2^{32}##. So just chose five different embeddings, e.g. shifted by different odd primes.

1. What is a set of algebraic operations?

A set of algebraic operations refers to a collection of mathematical operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, that are used to manipulate numbers and variables according to specific rules and properties.

2. What does it mean for a set of operations to produce unique results?

When a set of algebraic operations is performed on a given set of numbers or variables, it will always yield a specific and unambiguous answer. This means that the result of the operations is not affected by the order in which they are performed.

3. How are the results of a set of algebraic operations determined?

The results of a set of algebraic operations are determined by following the correct order of operations, also known as the "PEMDAS" rule. This means that operations within parentheses are performed first, followed by exponents, multiplication and division from left to right, and finally, addition and subtraction from left to right.

4. What role does the order of operations play in a set of algebraic operations?

The order of operations is crucial in a set of algebraic operations as it determines the correct sequence in which the operations should be performed in order to yield a unique result. Failing to follow the correct order can lead to incorrect results.

5. Can the order of operations be changed in a set of algebraic operations?

No, the order of operations in a set of algebraic operations cannot be changed. It is a fundamental rule in mathematics that must be followed in order to obtain accurate results. Attempting to change the order of operations will lead to incorrect and inconsistent results.