Baffled by Electric Field of a Plate

In summary: I'm guessing they used sigma/2epsilon_naught). The field produced by the top positive sheet alone is sigma/2epsilon_naught. The field produced by the bottom sheet alone is -sigma/2epsilon_naught. They add together in the center (between the two sheets), and need to cancel the external field. So sigma/2epsilon_naught+sigma/2epsilon_naught=Eext. Then we get the initial result: sigma/epsilon_naught=Eext.
mborn
Hi,
I have this question:
I am a little confused about the electric field of a very large sheet of something (insulator or conductor)
for a very large sheet, E = sigma_inclosed/2(epsilon_naught), but for a conductor, it is E = sigma_inclosed/epsilon_naught, that is, twice the first case. But I have a question here in my book that says:

A thin conducting plate 50 cm on a length lies in the x-y plane. If it is placed in an external electric field of 8*10^4C directed perpendicular to the plate, find;
1- The charge density of each face of the plate,
2- The total charge on each face.

The answers uses, E = sigma / 2(epsilon_naught) to find sigma,

Shouldn't he used the formula E = sigma_inclosed/epsilon_naught since it is a conducting plate?

M B

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you're right. It depends on whether they are using Eext, or a different E. Eext=sigma/epsilon_naught.

You can also solve the problem by thinking of superposition (which is where I'm guessing they used sigma/2epsilon_naught). The field produced by the top positive sheet alone is sigma/2epsilon_naught. The field produced by the bottom sheet alone is -sigma/2epsilon_naught. They add together in the center (between the two sheets), and need to cancel the external field. So sigma/2epsilon_naught+sigma/2epsilon_naught=Eext. Then we get the initial result: sigma/epsilon_naught=Eext.

What is the value of sigma they get?

mborn said:
The answers uses, E = sigma / 2(epsilon_naught) to find sigma,

Shouldn't he used the formula E = sigma_inclosed/epsilon_naught since it is a conducting plate?
This is a little tricky. One has to apply Gauss' law to each surface of the conductor sheet. For a conductor, all charge resides on the top and bottom surfaces with 0 field inside.

Using Gauss' law, the flux per unit area through the top surface is: [itex]\phi = \sigma_{top} \delta A/\epsilon_0[/itex]. Since the flux goes in both directions, above the surface and into the interior, the flux from the top surface charge above + the flux from the top surface below (ie toward the inside of the conductor) is the total flux. So
[tex]E\delta a_{up} + E\delta a_{interior} = \sigma_{top} \delta a/\epsilon_0[/tex]
Since the surface charge produces equal flux in the up and down directions:
[tex]E\delta a_{up} = E\delta a_{interior}[/tex]
then:
[tex]2E = \sigma_{top}/\epsilon_0[/tex]

The same applies to the bottom surface of the conductor. You have to work out the charge densities on the top and bottom surfaces such that the field inside the conductor is 0 in the presence of the external field.

AM

1. What is an electric field and how does it relate to a plate?

An electric field is a region in space where an electric force is exerted on charged particles. A plate, in this context, refers to a flat conducting surface that can hold a charge or act as a barrier for electric fields.

2. Why am I baffled by the electric field of a plate?

The electric field of a plate can be confusing because it depends on the shape, size, and charge distribution of the plate. Additionally, the electric field can vary in different regions around the plate, making it difficult to visualize and understand.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric field of a plate?

The strength of the electric field of a plate depends on the charge on the plate, the distance from the plate, and the shape of the plate. It also depends on the medium surrounding the plate and any other charges present in the vicinity.

4. How can I calculate the electric field of a plate?

To calculate the electric field of a plate, you can use the equation E = σ/ε₀, where E is the electric field, σ is the surface charge density, and ε₀ is the permittivity of free space. You will also need to take into account the distance from the plate and any other charges present.

5. What are some real-world applications of the electric field of a plate?

The electric field of a plate has many practical applications. It is used in capacitors, which are essential components in electronic devices. It is also used in electrostatic precipitators, which remove pollutants from industrial exhaust gases. Additionally, the electric field of a plate plays a role in the operation of Van de Graaff generators and cathode ray tubes.