How do I know which proton is more acidic?

• Thread starter crimsonn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proton
In summary, the most acidic hydrogen in a group can be determined by looking at the electron withdrawing groups, with the one attached to the carbon with a double bond being the most acidic in this case.
crimsonn

Homework Statement

So this was a little acid-base reaction that ended up showing up on my quiz. I'm just not sure how to pick out the hydrogen in the group that is the most acidic. I wrote it as being the hydrogen that was attached to the carbon with the double bond. Could anyone explain why that is wrong? And give general guide lines to follow?

Homework Equations

My reasoning for the hydrogen attached to the carbon with the double bond was because it was sp2 hybridized which generally makes protons more acidic?

I'm not sure, my logic is probably flawed, so if someone could correct it that would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-11-15 at 10.09.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-11-15 at 10.09.30 PM.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 519
Physics news on Phys.org
The Attempt at a Solution The general rule of thumb for determining which hydrogen in a group is the most acidic is to look at the electron withdrawing groups (EWGs). EWGs decrease the electron density around the hydrogen, making it more acidic. In this case, the double bond between the two carbons is an EWG. Therefore, the hydrogen that is attached to the carbon with the double bond would be the most acidic of the three.

1. How do I determine which proton is more acidic?

To determine which proton is more acidic, you can compare the stability of the conjugate bases of each proton. A more stable conjugate base indicates a stronger acid.

2. What factors affect the acidity of a proton?

The factors that affect the acidity of a proton include the electronegativity of the atom attached to the proton, the size of the atom attached to the proton, and the presence of any electron-withdrawing or electron-donating groups.

3. How does the atomic size affect proton acidity?

Generally, a larger atom attached to a proton will result in a more acidic proton. This is because larger atoms are less able to stabilize the negative charge of the conjugate base, making the proton more easily donated.

4. What is the difference between inductive and resonance effects on proton acidity?

Inductive effects refer to the pull of electron density through sigma bonds, while resonance effects involve the delocalization of electron density through pi bonds. Both effects can influence the acidity of a proton, with resonance effects typically having a stronger impact.

5. Can the solvent affect proton acidity?

Yes, the solvent can affect the acidity of a proton. A polar solvent can stabilize the conjugate base, making the proton more acidic. Additionally, a protic solvent that can form hydrogen bonds with the conjugate base can also increase proton acidity.