Calculate pressure loss due to bends in a pipe?

In summary: So, you would need to change the angle factor in the equation to 1.38 in order to adapt it to a bend of 60 degrees or 45 degrees.
daftdave11
how we doing i found the following information regarding finding the pressure drop in a pipe due to 90° bends. i was wondering could this be adapted for say a bend of 60° or 45°. what would be needed to change to the below information to allow this to happen?? thanking ou in advance. this would be a great help to me if i could find the solution to this.. thanks

K_B = (n-1)(.25*\pi f_T \frac{r}{d} + .5 K) + K
Where:
K_B = Resistance coefficient for overall pipe bend.
n = # of 90° bends (for a single 180° bend, n=2).
\pi = well...pi
f_T = Friction factor in turbulent zone.
r= radius of bend (in same units as d).
d= inside diameter of pipe (same unit as r).
K= Loss coefficient for a 90° bend based on table below.

90° Bend Loss Coefficients:
r/d = 1, K = 20f_T
r/d = 1.5, K = 14f_T
r/d = 2, K = 12f_T
r/d = 3, K = 12f_T
r/d = 4, K = 14f_T
r/d = 6, K = 17f_T
r/d = 8, K = 24f_T
r/d = 10, K = 30f_T
r/d = 12, K = 34f_T
r/d = 14, K = 38f_T
r/d = 16, K = 42f_T
r/d = 20, K = 50f_T

Engineering news on Phys.org
anyone??

daftdave11 said:
i was wondering could this be adapted for say a bend of 60° or 45°. what would be needed to change to the below information to allow this to happen?
You have the values given by the Crane paper for the total resistance of a 90 degree bend. You can multiply those resistance values by the following equation to get the resistance for all other bends between 0 and 180 degrees:
y = 1.838E-7*A3 - 8.756E-5*A2+1.748E-2*A
Where y = angle factor
A = angle of pipe bend from 0 to 180 degrees

This equation comes from a graph out of a book on fluid flow from a company I used to work for. I took the graph and did a curve fit to it. You should find that at 90 degrees the angle factor comes to 1.00 and at 180 degrees, the angle factor comes to 1.38.

What is pressure loss due to bends in a pipe?

Pressure loss due to bends in a pipe refers to the decrease in pressure that occurs when fluid flows through a curved section of the pipe. This decrease in pressure is caused by the change in direction of the fluid flow, which creates friction and turbulence.

How do you calculate pressure loss due to bends in a pipe?

The pressure loss due to bends in a pipe can be calculated using the Darcy-Weisbach equation, which takes into account factors such as the fluid velocity, pipe diameter, and the angle and radius of the bend. Alternatively, there are also online calculators and charts available to estimate pressure loss based on the specific characteristics of the pipe and fluid.

What factors contribute to pressure loss in a pipe bend?

The main factors that contribute to pressure loss in a pipe bend are the velocity of the fluid, the diameter of the pipe, and the angle and radius of the bend. Other factors such as the roughness of the pipe surface and the viscosity of the fluid can also play a role.

How can pressure loss due to bends in a pipe be minimized?

Pressure loss due to bends in a pipe can be minimized by using larger pipe diameters, reducing the angle and radius of the bend, and maintaining a smooth and clean pipe surface. Properly designed pipe systems with gradual bends and smooth transitions can also help to minimize pressure loss.

What are the practical implications of pressure loss due to bends in a pipe?

The pressure loss due to bends in a pipe can have various practical implications, such as decreased flow rate, increased pumping costs, and reduced efficiency of the system. It is important to consider and minimize pressure loss in order to maintain optimal performance and minimize operating costs.