Taking calculus and have hard time understanding the textbook. Help .

In summary, the conversation is about the difficulties of understanding the textbook for calculus and seeking advice on how to improve understanding. The suggestion is to use various resources such as books, articles, and online forums to gain a better understanding of the subject. It is also recommended to attempt the problems and to focus on one or two main resources instead of trying to cover multiple textbooks.
appplejack
Taking calculus and have hard time understanding the textbook. Help please.

My textbook is called Calculus:One Variable by Salas (10th Edition)
I'm at University of Toronto in Canada. My course is named MAT137.
A lot of students in my course don't read the textbook. They only do exercises. They say things like, "I don't understand what the books says." or "Just do exercises" or "Practice a lot"
I feel frustrated with explanations because I have such a hard time understanding concepts.
I,too, often just do exercises but I think I want to get some good understanding over the subject. Personally, I dislike the textbook because I think there isn't enough explanation.
Thanks. Please let me know. I will provide more details to you replies.

Physics news on Phys.org

how can they understand the book if they don't read it? don't imitate those imbeciles, read the book. and try the little book by elliot gootman as a supplement.

appplejack said:
My textbook is called Calculus:One Variable by Salas (10th Edition)
I'm at University of Toronto in Canada. My course is named MAT137.
A lot of students in my course don't read the textbook. They only do exercises. They say things like, "I don't understand what the books says." or "Just do exercises" or "Practice a lot"
I feel frustrated with explanations because I have such a hard time understanding concepts.
I,too, often just do exercises but I think I want to get some good understanding over the subject. Personally, I dislike the textbook because I think there isn't enough explanation.
Thanks. Please let me know. I will provide more details to you replies.

Hey appplejack and welcome to the forums.

Understanding usually doesn't come straight away.

The best advice I would give you is to find other books, articles, blogs and so on that discuss this kind of thing. You could also ask specific questions on this forum as other people have done: this is done on a highly regular basis here and is a great source for this kind of information.

chiro said:
Hey appplejack and welcome to the forums.

Understanding usually doesn't come straight away.

The best advice I would give you is to find other books, articles, blogs and so on that discuss this kind of thing. You could also ask specific questions on this forum as other people have done: this is done on a highly regular basis here and is a great source for this kind of information.

I will 2nd this and what mathwonk said. When I don't understand something (which is often :tongue: ) I go with a 'many perspectives' approach. I pick up 3 or 4 books (from the library since I am not rich) on the same subject and take a pencil and paper and try to re-derive what each author is saying. One author might go with a 'formal' derivation, where another might go with an 'intuitive' or 'pictorial' derivation and I make it my job to reconcile all of the approaches.

The internet is also a great resource as is this forum. If you have questions about calculus homework, ask in the Homework Help forum. If you have conceptual calculus questions, ask in the Calculus forum.

Just adding something to previous answers, yes its really useful to check various books and stuff, but eventually you have to pick one and study it seriously, maybe two will work, at most. I've seen it many times (happened to me last semester) you take like 4 different books and guess what, its impossible to cover them completely, imagine going through Apostol, Courant and Spivak, just no way you are going to do it. Anyway for one variable calculus, check Purcell or thomas Finney for some good explanations, remember: attempt the problems, an hour or so of daily work and youll be ready to go, also if you want to check One variable calc done more rigorously (as in preparing for some serious math) check any of the aformentioned books, though I specially recommended Spivak.

Thanks guys. I'm going to use this website more actively.

1. Why is it important to understand calculus?

Calculus is a fundamental branch of mathematics that is used in various fields such as science, engineering, economics, and statistics. It helps us understand and solve problems involving change and motion, and provides a foundation for higher-level math courses.

2. How can I improve my understanding of the calculus textbook?

There are a few strategies you can try:

• Read the textbook actively, taking notes and summarizing key concepts as you go.
  • Work through practice problems to reinforce your understanding.
  • Seek help from a tutor or classmate if you are struggling with a particular concept.
  • Use online resources, such as videos or interactive tutorials, to supplement your learning.

3. What are some common challenges when learning calculus from a textbook?

Some students may struggle with the abstract nature of calculus and the use of symbols and equations. The textbook may also be written in a difficult or confusing style, and the material may be presented in a non-linear way. Additionally, self-directed learning can be challenging for students who are used to more structured classroom instruction.

4. What should I do if I still have trouble understanding the textbook after trying different methods?

If you are still having trouble understanding the textbook, it may be helpful to speak with your instructor or a tutor. They can provide additional explanations and examples, and can also offer personalized guidance and support. It may also be beneficial to review any prerequisite math concepts that you may be struggling with.

5. Are there any tips for making calculus more approachable and easier to understand?

Here are a few tips to make learning calculus more manageable:

• Start by reviewing algebra and trigonometry, as these are the foundations of calculus.
  • Break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable steps.
  • Make connections between calculus and real-world applications to help you better understand the concepts.
  • Don't be afraid to ask for help or seek additional resources.
  • Practice regularly and stay organized in your note-taking and problem-solving.