Coulomb's law point charges distance for 0 net force

In summary, the equation Q1/(D1^2) would be solved as (q1)/(d1^2)=(q2)/(1+D1)^2 if Q1 had a smaller and opposite charge compared to Q2.
jmr423

Homework Statement

One charge of (+5µC) is placed in the air at exactly x = 0, and a second charge (+7µC) at x = 100cm. where can the third charge be placed so as to experience zero net force due to the other charges?

Homework Equations

F=KQ1Q2 / D^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Q1 = +5µC,
Q2 = +7µC,
Q3d from q1 = D1,
K = 9*10^9,
100 cm = 1 m
D1+D2=1m,
1m - D1 = D2.

K(q1*q3)/d1^2)=K(q2*q3)/(1-D1)^2
Then the k's cancel each other out and the Q3's cancel each other out.

(q1)/(d1^2)=(q2)/(1-D1)^2

Is this correct? also can you give me an example on solving this equation if it is correct?

Another thing
if Q1 had a smaller and opposite charge compared to Q2, the equation would be?
(q1)/(d1^2)=(q2)/(1+D1)^2

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry i did not type out the values,

5/d^2=7/(1+D)^2

saying that we are finding distance and both the charges are 10^-6 it can cancel out right?
Sorry i guess this is more of a math problem if i have the formula right, i really am not sure how to solve this, i have tried but i keep getting the wrong answers. the answer in the book is .46m or 46cm

jmr423 said:
K(q1*q3)/d1^2)=K(q2*q3)/(1-D1)^2 Then the k's cancel each other out and the Q3's cancel each other out.

(q1)/(d1^2)=(q2)/(1-D1)^2

You meant D1 instead of d1, did you not? (q1)/(D1^2)=(q2)/(1-D1)^2 is correct. Cancel the factors 10^-6 . Take the reciprocal of both sides, expand the square, move everything to one side and solve the quadratic equation. You get two roots, exclude the one not between 0 and 1.

jmr423 said:
Another thing
if Q1 had a smaller and opposite charge compared to Q2, the equation would be?
(q1)/(d1^2)=(q2)/(1+D1)^2

Q1/D1^2=(q2)/(1+D1)^2 is the correct one.

Last edited:
Thank you very much :P. I'm not 100% on solving quadratics however I have a 600 page math textbook that I'm working through right now that will cover it. My physics class is 1 year ahead of my math class. :S

Oh. Do not read all that 600 pages. If you have an equation of form ax2+bx+c=0 the solutions are

[tex]x_{1,2}=\frac{-b\pm \sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}[/tex] Can you manage?

ehild

ehild said:
Oh. Do not read all that 600 pages. If you have an equation of form ax2+bx+c=0 the solutions are

[tex]x_{1,2}=\frac{-b\pm \sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}[/tex] Can you manage?

ehild

Thank you very much, i will play around with it however i am not to familiar with radicals so I'm not sure if i will be able to get through it :S

Oh. Your Physics class is very much ahead of your Maths class. The square root of a number x is the non-negative number denoted by √x which multiplied by itself gives out x.

√x * √x = x.

√4=2 , as 2*2=4
√100=10 as 10*10 = 100.

You certainly find a key on your calculator that corresponds to the square root operator.

ehild

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the force of attraction or repulsion between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. What are point charges?

Point charges are hypothetical particles with a fixed amount of positive or negative charge concentrated at a single point. They are used in Coulomb's Law to simplify the calculation of the force between two charged particles, assuming they are very small compared to the distance between them.

3. How does distance affect the force between two point charges?

According to Coulomb's Law, the force between two point charges decreases as the distance between them increases. This is because the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges. As the distance increases, the force decreases exponentially.

4. What is a net force?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account both the magnitude and direction of all individual forces. In the context of Coulomb's Law, the net force is the vector sum of all the attractive or repulsive forces between two point charges.

5. How is Coulomb's Law used in real-world applications?

Coulomb's Law is used in various fields such as electromagnetism, electronics, and chemistry. It is used to understand and calculate the behavior of charged particles in electric fields, design electrical circuits, and predict the behavior of molecules with different charges in chemical reactions.