Undoing years of bad study habits. Got any tips?

In summary, this problem can be difficult to fix, but it is possible. It may help to take short breaks, listen to music to help focus, and write down notes to keep track of what is being taught.
wubwubwub
I've been a bad student my entire life, and I'm 22 now. My goal right now is to become an electrical engineer. Problem is that I do just enough to pass. My GPA is at about a 3.0 and classes are getting harder. I'm almost done with my lower division and I know my GPA is going to drop more, and I know it's going to be impossible to get a job with a low GPA. Problem is even if I try to study harder, my mind just wanders off somewhere. It doesn't matter if I'm in a library studying, I would just end up looking around. And in class, my mind just wanders off and then I'll get lost mid-lecture. Any tips for me? This seems like this should be something easy to fix. But to me, it's not. I've been trying to fix it for a couple years now. It's getting a bit better now, but not by much.

Physics news on Phys.org
For what it's worth, I have the same issue. It's called laziness. The key is to just sit down and work. When you're bored, stop. Do something else for a few minutes - maybe watch *one* episode of a TV show or better, read a (comic?) book - then get back to work.

The other part is to study systematically. Try make it part of your everyday-life, like brushing your teeth, for instance. The other cool thing is that studying can be fun. When it stops being fun (or engaging?), switch to something else! It's like when you're bored of Nando's and you switch to KFC for one day, then you go back to Nando's. Poor analogy but I really have a problem with KFC as of late. :-)

Also, thank you for making this thread. It allowed me to get my thoughts in order (sort of), share them here and also allowed me to adopt it myself. Okay, now I'm taking a break and then I'm off to study! Good luck! Let me know how this works out. :D

wubwubwub said:
In class, my mind just wanders off and then I'll get lost mid-lecture. Any tips for me?
Do you write down notes in class? If not, try that.

Also, you should probably consider considering your apparent lack of interest as a lack of interest (but that's an over-the-internet character diagnosis, so only take it as a random suggestion, not as a qualified statement).

wubwubwub said:
I've been a bad student my entire life, and I'm 22 now. My goal right now is to become an electrical engineer. Problem is that I do just enough to pass. My GPA is at about a 3.0 and classes are getting harder. I'm almost done with my lower division and I know my GPA is going to drop more, and I know it's going to be impossible to get a job with a low GPA. Problem is even if I try to study harder, my mind just wanders off somewhere. It doesn't matter if I'm in a library studying, I would just end up looking around. And in class, my mind just wanders off and then I'll get lost mid-lecture. Any tips for me? This seems like this should be something easy to fix. But to me, it's not. I've been trying to fix it for a couple years now. It's getting a bit better now, but not by much.
Like Mepris said, just take short breaks (however, risk is that the breaks could get longer than intended). A trick that sometimes works better than nothing at all for me for studying, is to listen to music tapes at the same time - while it is sub-optimal, it can keep the wandering-off in check.

Timo said:
Do you write down notes in class? If not, try that.

Also, you should probably consider considering your apparent lack of interest as a lack of interest (but that's an over-the-internet character diagnosis, so only take it as a random suggestion, not as a qualified statement).

I write lots of notes. But I just blindly write it lol. I don't think it's a lack of interest since I'm like this even with things I like. I'm going to be in the library during the weekend so let's see how this goes again.

1. How can I undo years of bad study habits?

Undoing years of bad study habits can be a daunting task, but it is definitely possible with some dedication and effort. The first step is to identify your bad study habits, such as procrastination or lack of organization. Then, create a plan to address each habit and replace it with a healthier study habit. It may take time, but consistency is key.

2. What are some common bad study habits that I should be aware of?

Some common bad study habits include procrastination, cramming, lack of organization, not taking breaks, and studying in a distracting environment. It's important to identify which habits are hindering your studying and make a conscious effort to change them.

3. How do I stay motivated to continue my new study habits?

Staying motivated can be challenging, but there are a few things you can do to help. Firstly, set achievable goals for yourself and celebrate when you reach them. Also, find a study buddy or join a study group to help keep you accountable. Lastly, remind yourself of the benefits of developing good study habits, such as better grades and less stress.

4. How long does it take to undo years of bad study habits?

This can vary for each individual, but it typically takes at least 21 days to form a new habit. However, it may take longer to completely replace a bad habit with a healthier one. It's important to be patient with yourself and stay consistent with your efforts.

5. What are some tips for maintaining good study habits in the long term?

Maintaining good study habits in the long term requires consistency and dedication. Some tips include creating a study schedule and sticking to it, taking breaks when needed, finding a quiet and comfortable study space, and regularly evaluating and adjusting your study habits as needed. It's also important to prioritize self-care and avoid burnout.