Antibonding orbital, LUMO and HOMO

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of antibonding orbitals, LUMO and HOMO in organic chemistry. Antibonding orbitals can be found in most atoms, such as a carbonyl carbon, and can break down real bonds when other atoms put electrons into them. Not all atoms can put electrons into antibonding orbitals. LUMO and HOMO are terms used to describe the lowest and highest unoccupied molecular orbitals, respectively. It is recommended to read more about molecular orbital theory for a better understanding.
lo2
Hi there

I have some questions regarding those three things.

First off, the antibonding orbital, which I am having a hard time comprehending. So as far as I understand most atoms in organic chemistry have those antibonding orbitals, for instance a carbonyl carbon, where I imagne the antibonding orbital to point in the opposite direction of the double bond to the carbonyl or something, so is that so? And what about for instance methane where are its antibonding orbitals located?

I think I have got the fact that when another atom starts to put electrons into the antibonding orbital, it breaks down the real bond, and all of a sudden the antibonding orbital is now the bonding one. So is that true? And then how come not all atoms can put electrons in the antibonding orbital and thereby bind?

Also I have come across the terms LUMO (lowest unoccupied molecular orbital) and HOMO (highest unoccupied molecular orbital) and I really do not understand what it is, so could anyone please expalinthis?

BTW looks like a really cool forum! :)

Chemistry news on Phys.org

1. What is an antibonding orbital?

An antibonding orbital is an atomic orbital that has a higher energy than the corresponding bonding orbital. This means that electrons in an antibonding orbital will not contribute to the stability of a molecule and can even weaken the bond between atoms.

2. What does LUMO stand for?

LUMO stands for Lowest Unoccupied Molecular Orbital. It is the lowest energy molecular orbital that does not contain any electrons. It is important in chemical reactions as it is the orbital that is most likely to interact with other molecules.

3. How is the HOMO related to chemical reactivity?

HOMO stands for Highest Occupied Molecular Orbital. It is the highest energy molecular orbital that contains electrons. The HOMO is important in chemical reactivity as it is the orbital that is most likely to donate electrons to other molecules, making it crucial in bond formation and breaking.

4. Can the LUMO and HOMO change in different chemical environments?

Yes, the energies and shapes of the LUMO and HOMO can change in different chemical environments. This is due to the influence of different atoms and functional groups in a molecule, which can affect the electron distribution and energy levels of the orbitals.

5. How do antibonding orbitals, LUMO, and HOMO contribute to molecular stability?

Antibonding orbitals do not contribute to molecular stability as they have higher energy levels and can actually weaken bonds. However, the LUMO and HOMO are important in molecular stability as they can participate in bonding and anti-bonding interactions. The overall stability of a molecule is determined by the balance between bonding and antibonding interactions of these orbitals.