Your view on rat race and sustained progress

• Thread starter Kholdstare
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Race
In summary, Evo thinks that if someone stays in a certain position for extended period of time, they are generally stable. However, there is a possibility for them to lose their status if the company undergoes a lot of change.
Kholdstare
Hi all,

Recently, I've been thinking about incomes and expenses in a decent life (for generations after generations). I've made a few observation that each year more and more scientists, engineers, lawyers, bankers, businessmen are employed in our economy. And also a majority of them already inside try to climb up the rank. It is a huge rat race.

My question is,
If anyone quits rat race and stays at a certain position for extended period of time (without promotions or better job), is his stability in danger? Is he going down the socio-economic ladder because over time more and more jobs will be created and filled above him? Will the progress be difficult for him if he (or his offspring) chose to do so later?

Or, is he actually quite stable at his position? as the number of white collar jobs does not boom exponentially as we might think (from business news)? maybe that number remains more or less same only the nature of jobs change in future? it is possible to have progress for him if he (or his offspring) chose to do so later?

I think you get my thoughts by now. I'd like to know your view on this two different side/outcome of the future.

Physics news on Phys.org
It would depend on her situation, the company etc... Too many variables to make a meaningful guess. Climbing the ladder can put you at more risk since there is more exposure to upper management and carries more responsibility, in a merger, you are more at risk of being laid off if there is one position and two in your title.

It would not affect her offspring's employment, at least not in a country like the US.

IMO, one should be able to roll with the punches and learn quickly. I can't tell you how many different (though perhaps related) jobs I have had in the last 40+ years.

A piece of advice, though. If you sign on with a sociopath that owns a company, and you make him a millionaire several times over with just a 2-person division, you should not expect him to be happy paying your bonuses. Sociopaths are greedy and ruthless.

Evo said:
It would depend on her situation, the company etc... Too many variables to make a meaningful guess. Climbing the ladder can put you at more risk since there is more exposure to upper management and carries more responsibility, in a merger, you are more at risk of being laid off if there is one position and two in your title.

It would not affect her offspring's employment, at least not in a country like the US.

Spot on, Evo! Climbing the ladder means you have more adaptability with upper management and enormous responsibility. It does give you more bucks but that could be unnecessary.

I've always thought that regardless of my income my child should always have the possibility of doing good jobs.

I'm tackling this economic picture from a very broad and general perspective. There'll be always high paid jobs and low paid jobs and there'll be balance between them. No matter what you do, with "sufficient" effort you or your offspring can always get a high paid job. So don't jump into the rat race if you don't want to earn a few extra bucks.

There had been great depression, first and second recession, inflation etc., and many more to come. What matters is that I secure the basic social educational need of my offspring and move on.

1. What is your perspective on the rat race?

I believe that the rat race is a societal construct that has been created to perpetuate a constant drive for success and material gain. It often leads to individuals feeling stressed, burnt out, and not truly fulfilled in their lives.

2. Do you think the rat race is necessary for sustained progress?

No, I do not think the rat race is necessary for sustained progress. While competition can drive innovation and advancement, it is important to have a healthy balance and not be constantly caught up in the rat race mentality. Sustainable progress can also be achieved through collaboration, mindfulness, and prioritizing well-being.

3. How does the rat race affect individuals and society?

The rat race can have negative impacts on both individuals and society. It can lead to high levels of stress, anxiety, and burnout in individuals. It can also perpetuate a culture of consumerism and materialism, where success and worth are measured by material possessions rather than personal fulfillment and happiness.

4. What steps can be taken to break away from the rat race?

To break away from the rat race, individuals can prioritize their well-being and focus on their personal values and goals rather than societal expectations. It is also important to practice mindfulness and set boundaries to avoid being constantly caught up in the cycle of competition and comparison.

5. How can society shift towards a more sustainable and fulfilling definition of progress?

Society can shift towards a more sustainable and fulfilling definition of progress by promoting a culture of balance and well-being. This can include valuing personal growth and fulfillment over material gain, supporting work-life balance, and encouraging collaboration rather than cut-throat competition.