Not enough letter of recommedations

• Thread starter marellasunny
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is re-applying for a masters program in a US university and needs to submit at least 3 letters of recommendation. They have 2 letters but are struggling to get the third from their previous college professors. They are seeking advice on how to obtain a letter in a short amount of time and are considering reaching out to other potential references. If they are unable to get the necessary letters in time, they plan to explain the situation to the universities they are applying to.
marellasunny
Hi!
Its been a while since I've left college(2 years) and I will be re-applying for a masters in US univ coming January.The program selection requirement states that for completing the application,a student must submit at-least 3 letters of recommendation[LoR's].

I have 2 LoRs' but am finding it tough to convince my professors from my previous college to write a LoR.I was a good student there, scoring 81% and worked under one of the professors and completed a thesis under him,and yet they "pass-the-buck" to other professors stating they don't have enough time.I have a long journey seeking appointments and find out its all for nothing.

How can I get a LoR in 3 weeks time?I obviously can't work under a new employer all-of-a-sudden and earn a LoR.

Will US universities read my incomplete application?

Physics news on Phys.org
You may want to reach out to other people who can vouch for you, such as employers or supervisors who can provide an employment reference. You could also contact any professors who have taught courses you've taken and ask if they could write a LoR. Other potential references could include professional mentors, volunteer supervisors, or other personal contacts who can attest to your skills and qualifications. It is important to provide the person you're asking with information about the program and what the admissions committee is looking for in a LoR. If you have any recent accomplishments, such as awards or honors, it might be a good idea to provide those to the person you're asking as well.If you are unable to get the necessary letters in time, you should reach out to the universities you are applying to and explain the situation. Most universities will accept incomplete applications, as long as you explain the situation and provide assurance that the LoRs will be sent soon.

What is considered "not enough" when it comes to letters of recommendation?

The number of required letters of recommendation varies depending on the institution or program. Generally, 2-3 letters are considered the minimum requirement. However, some programs may require more, such as 4-5 letters.

What should I do if I cannot obtain the required number of letters of recommendation?

If you are unable to obtain the required number of letters, you should reach out to the institution or program and explain your situation. Some may make exceptions or offer alternatives, such as allowing letters from employers or colleagues.

Can I submit more letters of recommendation than the required number?

In most cases, it is not necessary to submit more letters than the required number. It is better to focus on obtaining high-quality letters from individuals who can speak to your qualifications and character. Submitting too many letters may actually work against you.

What should I do if I am not satisfied with the letters of recommendation I have obtained?

If you are not satisfied with the letters you have obtained, you should consider reaching out to different individuals who can provide stronger recommendations. It is important to have letters that are detailed, specific, and highlight your strengths and accomplishments.

How important are letters of recommendation in the application process?

Letters of recommendation are an important component of the application process, as they provide insight into your character, skills, and potential. They can also serve as a way for the institution or program to verify the information you have provided in your application. It is important to choose recommenders who can provide a strong and positive evaluation of your abilities.