Help with understanding of magnetic fields related to moving electrons

In summary, the conversation is about understanding magnetic fields, specifically the reason for the presence of a magnetic field around a wire with current. The question also asks if a similar magnetic field would be present around moving plasma in a container. The response states that the stationary current along the wire produces a non-vanishing magnetic field, as described by Ampere's Law for magnetostatics.
Krejuski
Hello all,

I am in need of understanding of magnetic fields. More specifically i was wondering exactly why there is a magnetic field around a wire with current moving through it. Where i am going with this is.. if i had plasma contained, and i managed to get it moving in the container, would there be a magnetic field around the moving plasma similar to a moving current?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure in what sense you are using the word "why". The presence of the stationary current along the wire must produce a non-vanishing ##B## field solving Ampere's Law for magnetostatics ##\nabla \times B = \mu_{0}j##.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be observed. It is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons.

2. How are moving electrons related to magnetic fields?

Moving electrons are the source of magnetic fields. As electrons move, they create a magnetic field around them.

3. How does the direction of electron movement affect the magnetic field?

The direction of electron movement determines the direction of the magnetic field. If the electrons move in the same direction, the magnetic field will be stronger. If the electrons move in opposite directions, the magnetic field will be cancelled out.

4. What is the relationship between magnetic fields and electric fields?

Electric fields and magnetic fields are closely related. They are both components of the electromagnetic force and can be converted into one another. Moving electrons create both electric and magnetic fields.

5. How are magnetic fields important in everyday life?

Magnetic fields have many practical applications in everyday life. They are used in electric motors, generators, and MRI machines. They also play a crucial role in the Earth's magnetic field, which protects us from harmful solar radiation.