Rising Gas Prices and lowering blood pressure A little weekend fun

In summary, this conversation discusses the high cost of gasoline in the United States and how to reduce expenses. The author recommends car pooling or using public transportation.
Ivan Seeking said:
And you haven't lived until you've chased three stubborn, escaped goats, all over the property at 3AM. :devil:
See--I was right. It's crazy at Ivan's place.
Ivan Seeking said:
:As for the topic of the thread, on the plus side, this will help to hurry along alternative technologies. Go Hydrogen!
I thought everyone in another thread on Peak Oil came to the conclusion that it would be too difficult to produce hydrogen in large enough quantities (there's another, new thread on the topic too, I haven't checked out...). In the program I was watching about spy planes, I understand they use hydrogen to keep the planes cooled when traveling at such fast speeds--interesting indeed.
Danger said:
Hmmmm... I just might have to build a goat costume.
Did I just observe this as well?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
And you haven't lived until you've chased three stubborn, escaped goats, all over the property at 3AM. :devil:

I guess you didn't consider just putting food out and waiting for them to return on their own? :rofl: Goats are too smart for our own good. :biggrin:

They had another escaped cow in the city a week or two ago...well, actually, from the photos, I think it was a steer, not a cow, but they kept calling it a cow. Anyway, everytime something like that happens, I find myself glued to the TV laughing at the city slicker cops trying to play cowboy chasing a cow. At least this time they got someone into dart it. Last time a cow was a fugitive for about a week in one of the city parks. :rofl: I keep thinking I should give them a call and offer some help about how to herd cattle (it is harder when there's just one, but shouldn't take a week to accomplish), but it's just more fun watching cops being outsmarted by cattle. Though, I could tell this last time that half the problem is the darn news helicopters. I was watching that steer as the chopper was taking aerial shots and it became pretty obvious the steer was getting freaked out by the choppers. I have to admit, I love living in a place where escaped cattle in the city can provide entertainment at least once a year. :biggrin:

hypatia said:
but will you put the butting gears on the head or the tail?
Heh! :biggrin:

Was at the San Francisco Zoo earlier today (no-shows on the chimps and gorillas, I was very disappointed) and the cheapest gas we could find was $2.75 a gallon. This is almost getting European. I'm glad as hell I don't drive anymore.

Moonbear said:
I guess you didn't consider just putting food out and waiting for them to return on their own? :rofl: Goats are too smart for our own good. :biggrin:

Nope, it doesn't work that way here. Once they're free they will do anything to avoid capture. There are about five million acres of food out there.

They had another escaped cow in the city a week or two ago...well, actually, from the photos, I think it was a steer, not a cow, but they kept calling it a cow. Anyway, everytime something like that happens, I find myself glued to the TV laughing at the city slicker cops trying to play cowboy chasing a cow. At least this time they got someone into dart it. Last time a cow was a fugitive for about a week in one of the city parks. :rofl: I keep thinking I should give them a call and offer some help about how to herd cattle (it is harder when there's just one, but shouldn't take a week to accomplish), but it's just more fun watching cops being outsmarted by cattle. Though, I could tell this last time that half the problem is the darn news helicopters. I was watching that steer as the chopper was taking aerial shots and it became pretty obvious the steer was getting freaked out by the choppers. I have to admit, I love living in a place where escaped cattle in the city can provide entertainment at least once a year. :biggrin:

The biggest concern is liability. If your animal gets out on the road on causes an accident, you're liable. We had a horse get out once. When I realized how easily one can get into legal problems [and when I learned about some tax issues but that's a whole story in its own], that was the end of the horse.

Ivan Seeking said:
Nope, it doesn't work that way here. Once they're free they will do anything to avoid capture. There are about five million acres of food out there.

The biggest concern is liability. If your animal gets out on the road on causes an accident, you're liable.

Yeah, and that would be just like a goat too. Five million acres of food, and it would decide to stand in the middle of a paved road just in time to meet an oncoming car. :rolleyes:

SOS2008 said:
See--I was right. It's crazy at Ivan's place.
I thought everyone in another thread on Peak Oil came to the conclusion that it would be too difficult to produce hydrogen in large enough quantities (there's another, new thread on the topic too, I haven't checked out...). In the program I was watching about spy planes, I understand they use hydrogen to keep the planes cooled when traveling at such fast speeds--interesting indeed.
Did I just observe this as well?

The hydrogen issue is very complex, but the fact is, its considered all but inevitable at this point. Never mind what a few PF members came up with since for one, they probably know very little about the subject. Go to sources like the DOE, various *.gov sites, The National Hydrogen Association, and other of the many sites linked in the thread above.

hypatia said:
but will you put the butting gears on the head or the tail?
Despite the apparent non-sequitur, one does not butt with one's butt.

Sorry for the sporadic responses, folks. Sue Thomas and CSI Miami are both new episodes tonight and I don't have a blank tape, so I can only read and type during commercials. :grumpy:

I never look at the price. I filled up my mom's car and I have no clue what it came up to.

I just fill it up and just swipe whatever it is.

I won't complain until it gets really high.

loseyourname said:
Was at the San Francisco Zoo earlier today (no-shows on the chimps and gorillas, I was very disappointed) and the cheapest gas we could find was $2.75 a gallon. This is almost getting European. I'm glad as hell I don't drive anymore.

it's funny you bring up this point loseyourname...gas is much higher still outside of the usa, and in many places within the usa, gas is still cheaper per gallon then milk.

for the last 2 years, i had two company gas cards, never had to worry about the $30 a week i put in my car...now that i am in the office and not on the road, i am feeling the costs (i am not about to make sales calls pregnant!). thank goodness work is only 7 miles away, and my husband walks or rides his bike to work!

i think portland oregon has some of the highest gas prices alongside san fransisco. there are many more big SUV's on the car lots then there once were. honestly, i think we can learn something from having the costs of gasoline so high-learn to conserve more and use other resources.

You can probably pick up an SUV reeeeeeeeaaaaallllll cheap. :biggrin:

I am all for alternative fuels. Hemp (not to be confused with marijuana) is an excellent resource but often overlooked perhaps because it would not reap the profits that gasoline does.

http://www.artistictreasure.com/flier6.html
http://www.hempcar.org/biofacts.shtml

Taken from http://www.thehia.org/faqs/faq7.htm

FUEL
Hemp biomass as a source of fuel is the most under-exploited use of hemp, due to the fact that is economically unfeasible at this time. Hemp stalks can be used in the generation of energy through a process called 'chemurgy" which is a cross between chemicals and energy. The hemp stalk can be converted to a charcoal-like substance through a process called pyrolysis, and used for power generation and to produce industrial feed stocks. Auto giant Henry Ford was a pioneer in the pyrolysis process, and operated a biomass pyrolytic plant at Iron Mountain in Northern Michigan.

Hemp as an auto fuel is another potential use. Almost any biomass material can be converted to create methanol or ethanol, and these fuels burn cleanly with less carbon monoxide and higher octane. In fact, the diesel engine was invented to burn fuel from agricultural waste yet ended up burning unrefined petroleum. Hempseed oil can also be refined to produce a type of hemp biofuel. Woody Harrelson just toured with a diesel bus run on hemp biofuel, and a hempcar is touring this summer, demonstrating the environmental benefits of biofuels.

Whatever millionaire/billionaire decides to invest in mass producing this fuel with little or no modification to our present day cars not only will be richer then Bill Gates, but will change our world economy. Anyone up to the task?

Last edited by a moderator:
Pyrolysis is a standard approach to biomass conversion for hydrogen or other fuels. A good deal of information about this is contained in the Hydrogen thread and the links therein. Also, since the hydrogen discussion is now nearly two years long, I just posted a summary of all links discussed or posted in that thread, and it's parent thread, to date.

Last edited:
Back