Pasting polarized lenses to a PBS ?

• Thread starter Zafa Pi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lenses
In summary, if a PBS (polarizing beam splitter/polarization analyzer) emits horizontal and vertical polarized photons and has lenses pasted over its outlets, this does not change its behavior. However, there may be a difference in interference patterns when using a different setup with two PBSs placed back to back. This claim is not supported by an experiment and should be treated with caution.
Zafa Pi
If a PBS (polarizing beam splitter/polarization analyzer) that emits horizontal and vertical polarized photons when observed has a horizontal polarized lens pasted over the horizontal outlet and vertical one over the vertical outlet does this change its behavior? I'm particularly concerned when the PBS is used with another to make an interferometer. If two PBS's are put back to back and a 45° photon is shot in a 45° comes out (interference). Is it still true for the case when the 1st one has the pasted lenses?

Physics news on Phys.org
Zafa Pi said:
If a PBS (polarizing beam splitter/polarization analyzer) that emits horizontal and vertical polarized photons when observed has a horizontal polarized lens pasted over the horizontal outlet and vertical one over the vertical outlet does this change its behavior?

Generally, there is no effect in this situation. The additional lenses do not affect the photons. I don't follow your other setup where PBSs are placed "back to back".

Dr. Chinese, Thanks for your reply. Call the the 1st PBS I described PBS(0°) And when the lenses are pasted on PBS*(0°). Now shoot a |45°⟩ photon into PBS(0°) and without detecting what leaves use mirrors (and phase adjusters) to direct both exit ports into a PBS(45°). Now measure what leaves PBS(45°). It will be a |45°⟩ photon (rather than |135°⟩) - interference.
Now in a non-reviewed paper by David Ellerman (Delayed Choice found at ellerman.org that was recommended to me by a physics prof) he says that if PBS(0°) is replaced by PBS*(0°) there is no interference, i.e. what will leave PBS(45°) is either |45°⟩ or |135°⟩ with probability 1/2 each.

I see no reason to believe that, he doesn't cite an experiment, I'm suspicious and you seem to confirm my suspicions.

1. How do polarized lenses work?

Polarized lenses are designed to block out certain types of light waves, particularly horizontal light waves, which can cause glare and reduce visibility. The lenses have a special filter that only allows vertical light waves to pass through, resulting in clearer vision and reduced glare.

2. What is a PBS and why is it used with polarized lenses?

A PBS, or polarizing beam splitter, is a type of prism used to separate light into its polarized components. It is commonly used in conjunction with polarized lenses to further enhance their filtering abilities and reduce glare.

3. How are polarized lenses attached to a PBS?

The process of attaching polarized lenses to a PBS varies depending on the specific materials and equipment being used. In general, the lenses are carefully placed onto the surface of the PBS and secured with a special adhesive or by using heat to fuse the materials together.

4. Can polarized lenses be removed from a PBS?

It is possible to remove polarized lenses from a PBS, but it requires special tools and techniques to do so without damaging the lenses or the PBS. It is recommended to seek professional assistance if you need to remove polarized lenses from a PBS.

5. What are the benefits of using polarized lenses with a PBS?

Polarized lenses and PBSs work together to greatly reduce glare and improve visibility, making them ideal for activities such as driving, water sports, and outdoor activities. They also help to protect the eyes from harmful UV rays and can improve overall visual clarity and comfort.