Second order geodesic equation.

In summary, the author has a geodesic equation for a single direction which is second order. They are not sure what the significance of this is, and are also curious about what the best way to deal with the geodesic equation is. They suggest that instead of dealing with the equation, use first integrals of conserved quantities to solve the problem.
ozone
Hello all,

I have a geodesic equation from extremizing the action which is second order. I am curious as to what the significance is of having 2 independent geodesic equations is. Also I was wondering what the best way to deal with this is.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by two independent geodesic equations? Are you working in a 2 dimensional space with coordinates ##\{x^1,x^2\}## and have two geodesic equations, one for each coordinate?

As an aside, usually the easiest way to deal with the geodesic equation is to not deal with it at all. What I mean by this is that if your space has obvious symmetries then just use first integrals of conserved quantities. It's the same thing as using conservation of energy instead of Newton's 2nd law for classical mechanics problems.

Sorry I should have been more clear, I believe that I have two independent solutions to the geodesic equation for a single direction, but perhaps I am misinterpreting the result. The equation is written as

[itex] \ddot{x}(\tau)^a = A_{ab}(\tau) x(\tau)^b [/itex]

Here a,b are the two orthogonal directions to the wavefront of a pp-wave. Luckily I am in a system where [itex] A_{ab} [/itex] is an orthogonal matrix. This was derived using some symmetries and conversations with the Lagrangian. However I am having trouble interpreting what it means to have a second order geodesic equation (when we write down our geodesic equation in terms of Christoffel symbols it is always first order).

Perhaps we're using different definitions of the geodesic equation but AFAIK it is always second order in ##\tau##: ##\ddot{x}^{\mu} = -\Gamma ^{\mu}_{\alpha\beta}\dot{x}^{\alpha}\dot{x}^{\beta}##.

True but the equation above should only have one independent solution as best I can ascertain.. Suppose for simplicity we had a diagonal connection coefficient which is valued at 1 in some [itex] \bar{x} [/itex]direction, I don't see how that is different from writing [itex] \dot{x}= x^2 [/itex] (by substituting[itex] x = \dot{\bar{x}} [/itex]),this is only a first order equation... or am I missing something blatant?

ozone said:
True but the equation above should only have one independent solution as best I can ascertain.. Suppose for simplicity we had a diagonal connection coefficient which is valued at 1 in some [itex] \bar{x} [/itex]direction, I don't see how that is different from writing [itex] \dot{x}= x^2 [/itex] (by substituting[itex] x = \dot{\bar{x}} [/itex]),this is only a first order equation... or am I missing something blatant?
This is one of the standard tricks/methods for solving differential equations. Define p = dx/dt and hope that you can write a DE containing p alone. If so, it will be first order and you can solve it to get p(t). There will be one constant of integration.

But then you still have to solve p = dx/dt to get x(t), and this will produce a second constant of integration. It's a second order DE, you haven't changed that, all you have done is to solve it in stages.

Fair enough, I agree with what you are saying. My main question then is what do we do with these constants of integration? May we just arbitrarily set them equal to one?

ozone said:
Fair enough, I agree with what you are saying. My main question then is what do we do with these constants of integration? May we just arbitrarily set them equal to one?
E.g. they can be used to specify the two initial conditions for the geodesic: the initial position and velocity.

1. What is the second order geodesic equation?

The second order geodesic equation is a mathematical formula used in the field of geometry to describe the path of a particle or object moving along a geodesic (the shortest distance between two points) on a curved surface. It takes into account the curvature of the surface and the velocity of the object.

2. How is the second order geodesic equation derived?

The second order geodesic equation is derived from the geodesic equation, which is a first order differential equation that describes the path of a particle on a curved surface. The second order geodesic equation is obtained by taking the second derivative of the geodesic equation with respect to time.

3. What is the significance of the second order geodesic equation?

The second order geodesic equation is significant because it allows us to accurately calculate the path of an object on a curved surface, taking into account the effects of curvature and velocity. It is essential in fields such as general relativity and differential geometry.

4. What are the applications of the second order geodesic equation?

The second order geodesic equation has many practical applications in fields such as physics, astronomy, and engineering. It is used to calculate the trajectories of objects in gravitational fields, the paths of particles in particle accelerators, and the motion of spacecraft in orbit.

5. How is the second order geodesic equation used in general relativity?

In general relativity, the second order geodesic equation is used to describe the motion of particles in the presence of gravitational fields. It is a fundamental equation in the theory of gravity and is used to calculate the paths of objects around massive bodies, such as planets and stars.