What is the value of c that makes f(x) continuous on the entire real line?

In summary, to determine the value of c so that f(x) is continuous on the entire real line, we need to choose a value that makes the function continuous at x=3. This can be done by making sure that the left and right limits as x approaches 3 are equal to the value of the function at 3. Therefore, the value of c that makes f(x) continuous on the entire real line is c=9.
hotrocks007
Determine the value of c so that f(x) is continuous on the entire real line if

f(x)={ x^2, x<_3 (less than or equal to)
{ c/x, x>3

I've been trying by just guess and check, but I have absolutely NO idea!
Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
hotrocks007 said:
Determine the value of c so that f(x) is continuous on the entire real line if

f(x)={ x^2, x<_3 (less than or equal to)
{ c/x, x>3

I've been trying by just guess and check, but I have absolutely NO idea!
Please help!
Choose c so that
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 3^-}f(x)=\lim_{x\rightarrow 3^+}f(x)=f(3)[/tex]

To determine the value of c, we need to make sure that the function is continuous at the point x=3. This means that the limit of the function as x approaches 3 from both the left and the right must be equal. In other words, the left and right limits must "meet" at x=3.

Taking the left limit, we have:

lim x→3- f(x) = lim x→3- x^2 = 3^2 = 9

Taking the right limit, we have:

lim x→3+ f(x) = lim x→3+ c/x = c/3

For the function to be continuous at x=3, these two limits must be equal. Therefore, we can set them equal to each other and solve for c:

9 = c/3

c = 27

So, the value of c that makes f(x) continuous on the entire real line is 27.

1. What is the purpose of the Calc Summer Assignment?

The purpose of the Calc Summer Assignment is to prepare students for the upcoming Calculus course by reviewing important concepts and skills from precalculus. It also helps students transition from the summer break into the academic year.

2. How is the Calc Summer Assignment graded?

The Calc Summer Assignment is typically graded by the student's Calculus teacher and counts towards their grade in the class. It may also be used as a diagnostic tool to assess the student's understanding of precalculus topics.

3. What topics are covered in the Calc Summer Assignment?

The specific topics covered in the Calc Summer Assignment may vary depending on the school or teacher, but it generally includes a review of algebraic functions, trigonometric functions, and limits. Some assignments may also include derivatives and integrals.

4. Do I need to complete the Calc Summer Assignment if I am already familiar with precalculus?

Even if you are familiar with precalculus, it is still recommended to complete the Calc Summer Assignment. It will help refresh your knowledge and ensure you are fully prepared for the challenging concepts and applications in Calculus.

5. Can I get help with the Calc Summer Assignment if I am struggling?

Yes, it is important to seek help if you are struggling with the Calc Summer Assignment. You can reach out to your Calculus teacher, classmates, or online resources for assistance. It is crucial to have a strong foundation in precalculus before starting Calculus.