Calculating Acceleration at t = 2.20 s for a Particle in 2D Motion

In summary, we are given the initial velocity of a particle at t = 0 in the xy plane (vi = (3.00 i - 2.00 j) m/s) and its velocity at t = 2.20 s (v = (9.20 i + 6.10 j) m/s). To find the acceleration at time t, we take the difference between the vectors (v - vi) and divide it by the time interval (2.20 s - 0). The resulting vector is (6.2/t)i + (8.1/t)j with m/s^2 being the units for the acceleration vector. This can be thought of as (6.2/2.20
lostinphys
At t = 0, a particle moving in the xy plane with constant acceleration has a velocity of vi = (3.00 i - 2.00 j) m/s and is at the origin. At t = 2.20 s, the particle's velocity is v = (9.20 i + 6.10 j) m/s.

i am asked to find the acceleration at time t.
i know that the acceleration is the derivative of the velocity, meaning the change in velocity divided by the time. so i took the difference between the vectors (v - vi) and got (6.2i + 8.1j)/(2.20 - 0). But i don't think it is expressed correctly in vectors. any help would be appreciate. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
... ??

lostinphys said:
At t = 0, a particle moving in the xy plane with constant acceleration has a velocity of vi = (3.00 i - 2.00 j) m/s and is at the origin. At t = 2.20 s, the particle's velocity is v = (9.20 i + 6.10 j) m/s.

i am asked to find the acceleration at time t.
i know that the acceleration is the derivative of the velocity, meaning the change in velocity divided by the time. so i took the difference between the vectors (v - vi) and got (6.2i + 8.1j)/(2.20 - 0). But i don't think it is expressed correctly in vectors. any help would be appreciate. thanks.

I think you're on the right track, but it looks like you're trying to use time as a vector here. remember, it divides both components of your [tex]\Delta v[/tex] vector.

Well the first part, 6.2i + 8.1j is correct. You divide by 2.20 seconds but it looks more like (6.2/2.20)i + (6.10/2.20)j with m/s^2 being the units for the vector. You can treat them seperately and think of it like 6.2/2.20 as the dv/dt in the i direction for example.

The vector representing acceleration would then be (6.2/t)i + (8.1/t)j ?

That sounds right.

thanks !

1. How can I calculate the velocity of an object in 2D motion?

To calculate the velocity of an object in 2D motion, you need to know the object's displacement and time. You can use the formula v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is displacement, and t is time.

2. What is the difference between speed and velocity in 2D motion?

Speed is a scalar quantity that refers to the rate at which an object moves, while velocity is a vector quantity that includes both the speed and direction of an object's motion in 2D space.

3. How do I graph the motion of an object in 2D space?

To graph the motion of an object in 2D space, you will need to plot the x- and y-coordinates of the object's position at different points in time. This will create a graph with two axes, one for the x-coordinate and one for the y-coordinate.

4. Can you explain the concept of projectile motion in 2D?

Projectile motion in 2D refers to the motion of an object that is only affected by gravity and has an initial velocity in the horizontal direction. This type of motion follows a parabolic path, with the object moving both horizontally and vertically at the same time.

5. How do I calculate the displacement of an object in 2D motion?

To calculate the displacement of an object in 2D motion, you will need to know the initial position and the final position of the object. You can then use the formula d = xf - xi, where d is displacement, xf is the final position, and xi is the initial position.