Mechanical Reversibility vs Thermodynamical Irreversibility

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of "Thermodynamical Irreversibility VS Mechanical Reversibility (Microscopic Nature of the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics)". The person is confused about the concept of mechanical reversibility and its connection to thermodynamics. They have searched for information on the internet but have not been able to find a simple explanation. They are seeking clarification and an example of mechanical reversibility.
Batman
I'm a bit confused with this topic we're supposed to be writing a paper on:
"Thermodynamical Irreversibility VS Mechanical Reversibility (Microscopic Nature of the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics)"

I think I know the concept of the irreversible nature of thermodynamics...such as the flow of thermal energy from hot to cold until equillibrium... entropy, and the nature of things to go from organization to lesser degrees of organization. But nowhere can I find the term "Mechanical Reversibility" and I don't really know what he means by it.

He gave us a couple of handouts that were supposed to help us. They both mentioned Perpetual Motion Machines... the main focus seemed to be Perpetual Motion Machines of the 2nd kind... that is, the kind that can extract heat from objects, against the laws of thermodynamics. Nonetheless, I can't seem to connect "Mechanical Reversibility" to any of this, as can't even find an example of it =(

Any ideas on what the term refers to? Thanks =)

Physics news on Phys.org
You posted this message in 2 different places. Under Classical Physics, I answered as follows: In Google, type in one or more of the following keywords: "maxwell's demon", ratchet, irreversibility. That ought to get you started.

Yeah, sorry about the double post. That was the first relevant forum I found, but then I saw this one and it seemed more relevant so I just re-posted it. Anyways the course is supposed to be really basic... he gave us nothing but multiple choice questions until now, when he suddenly came up with this paper idea. I'm not a major or anything and as such, everything I've found on the internet so far is WAY over my head. All I'm really looking for is a simplified example of mechanical reversibility, because nothing I've found so far will explain what it even means.

So essentially... what, regarding mechanics, is reversible? and how?

Thanks =)

1. What is mechanical reversibility?

Mechanical reversibility refers to a process or system that can be reversed without any loss of energy. This means that the system can return to its original state after experiencing a change or disturbance.

2. What is thermodynamical irreversibility?

Thermodynamical irreversibility refers to a process or system that cannot be reversed without some loss of energy. This means that the system is unable to return to its original state after experiencing a change or disturbance.

3. What is the main difference between mechanical reversibility and thermodynamical irreversibility?

The main difference between these two concepts is the ability to reverse a process without any loss of energy. Mechanical reversibility allows for a process to be fully reversed, while thermodynamical irreversibility results in some energy being lost and the process being unable to return to its original state.

4. Can a process be both mechanically reversible and thermodynamical irreversible?

Yes, a process can exhibit both mechanical reversibility and thermodynamical irreversibility. For example, a pendulum swinging back and forth is mechanically reversible, as it returns to its original state, but it experiences air resistance which causes some energy to be lost, making it thermodynamical irreversible.

5. Why is the distinction between mechanical reversibility and thermodynamical irreversibility important?

The distinction between these two concepts is important in understanding the efficiency of processes and systems. Mechanical reversibility is ideal as it allows for minimal energy loss, while thermodynamical irreversibility leads to energy dissipation and a decrease in efficiency. Additionally, understanding these concepts is crucial in fields such as engineering and thermodynamics.