Solving Trajectory Problem: Castle Wall Cannonball

• Thread starter acpyrus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trajectory
In summary, The conversation discusses the problem of determining the distance from a castle wall where a cannonball will hit the ground when fired at an angle of 30 degrees and a speed of 50 m/s. The conversation also mentions the calculation of the ball's maximum height above the ground. The summary also includes a possible solution to the problem using the quadratic formula.
acpyrus
I am not getting the same answer as the text for this problem:
A cannon is fired from the top of the castle wall. The cannonball is fired at 50 m/s at an angle of 30 degrees. A cannonball that was accidentally dropped hits the moat below in 5s.
(a) How far from the castle wall does the cannonball hit the ground?
(b) What is the ball's maximum height above the ground?

Known: x(i) = t(i) = 0
v(i) = 50 m/s
v(ix) = (50m/s)(cos30) = 43m/s = v(fx)
v(iy) = (50m/s)(sin30) = 25m/s
a(x) = 0
a(y) = -9.8 m/s^2
y(f) = 0
For (a), I need to solve for x(f)

Step 1. Given t=1.5s for a cannonball to drop to the ground, I can calculate the height of the castle wall or y(i) = 1/2 (-9.8m/s^2) (1.5s)^2 = 11m

Step 2. Using the above value, solve for t:
y(f)=0=y(i) + v(iy)(t) + 1/2a(y)(t)^2
-11 = 25(t) - 4.9(t)^2
-11 = t[25 - 4.9t]
t = 0 or let 25 - 4.9t = 0
t = -25/-4.9 = 5.1s

Step 3, calculate x(f) = x(i) + v(ix)(t) + 1/2a(x)(t)^2
x(f) = 0 + 43(5.1) + 0 = 219 m

The answer in the text says it should be 239 m. Any insight on what I have done wrong?

How do I calculate (b)?

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the problem is where you are solving for t. You have -11 on the lefthand side of the equation not zero!

Answe of the (B)

When the ball reaches its maximum height above the ground, its velocity became zero, so: (assuming that g=10)
The acceleration in the y direction is constant and equal to “-g” so we can write:
v(fy)*v(fy) – v(iy)*v(iy)=-2gh and we know that v(fy)=0 so
h = v(iy)*v(iy)/2g=(25*25)/(2*10) = 31.25
H=h+h(i) which h(i) is the height of castle wall

How should I solve for t? I revised my Step 2 above and came up with t=11s or t=7.3s --> both answers put my x(f) value way over what the answer is supposed to be.

The general solution of a quadratic formula of the form:
[tex]ax^2+bx+c=0[/tex]
is given by:
[tex]x=\frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}[/tex]
It is derived by completing the square of the above equation. In this case we need to solve for the times when the equation [itex]-4.9t^2+25t+11[/itex] is zero, therefore
[tex]\begin{equation}\begin{split}a=-4.9 \\
b = 25 \\
c = 11
\end{split}\end{equation}[/tex]
in this case. Use the second equation above to solve for the times - I got 5.5 s

Last edited:

What is a trajectory problem?

A trajectory problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the path of a projectile, such as a cannonball, as it travels through the air.

Why is it important to solve trajectory problems?

Solving trajectory problems allows us to understand and predict the motion of objects in flight, which is crucial in fields such as engineering, ballistics, and sports.

What are the key factors that affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The key factors that affect the trajectory of a projectile are the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and gravitational pull.

How do you solve a trajectory problem?

To solve a trajectory problem, you must first determine the initial velocity and angle of launch. Then, you can use equations of motion and consider factors such as air resistance and gravitational pull to calculate the projectile's position at different points in time.

What are some real-world applications of solving trajectory problems?

Solving trajectory problems has many real-world applications, including designing aircraft and missiles, predicting the path of a thrown ball in sports, and calculating the trajectory of a bullet in ballistics.