Electron Config: Same for O, Ne, Mg (2+); Ni, Zn (2+); Hg, Tl+, Pb (2+)

In summary, the correct answer is b. all but (I) because Ni, Cu+, and Zn 2+ do not have the same electron configuration in the ground state as O (2-), Ne, and Mg (2+). The sets that consist of atoms or ions with the same electron configuration in the ground state are all but (I).
Soaring Crane
Which of the following three sets consist of atoms or ions with the same electron configuration in the ground state?
I. O (2-), Ne, and Mg (2+)
II. Ni, Cu+, Zn 2+
III. Hg, Tl+, and Pb (2+)
a. all but (II)
b. all but (I)
c. all three sets
d. only (I)
Is it all but ii. because Cu loses its 4s shell?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Soaring Crane said:
atoms or ions with the same electron configuration in the ground state?

Aka isoelectronic series

Well O2-, Ne, and Mg2+ all have the configuration of [Ne]

and for 2 Ni is [Ar] 3d8 4s2
and Zn is [Ar] 3d10 4s2
Zn+2 would then be [Ar] 3d10 because you take from the outermost shell
Cu is [Ar] 3d10 4s1 so Cu+ would be [Ar] 3d10

So 2 isn't isoelectronic

For #3, Hg is [Xe] 4f14 5d10 6s2
Tl is [Xe] 4f14 5d10 6s2 6p1 so Tl+ is indeed [Xe] 4f14 5d10 6s2
Pb is [Xe] 4f14 5d10 6s2 6p2 so Pb+2 is indeed [Xe] 4f14 5d10 6s2

So you are indeed correct but your explanation doesn't quite make sense to me.

Yes, you are correct. The correct answer is b. all but (I). The electron configurations for Ni, Cu+, and Zn 2+ are all different, as Ni has a half-filled 3d sublevel, Cu+ has a completely filled 3d sublevel, and Zn 2+ has an empty 3d sublevel. This is different from the electron configurations for O (2-), Ne, and Mg (2+), which all have a completely filled valence shell.

What is electron configuration?

Electron configuration is a way of representing the arrangement of electrons in an atom or ion. It describes the distribution of electrons in different energy levels and orbitals within an atom.

What is the electron configuration of oxygen, neon, and magnesium (2+)?

The electron configuration of oxygen, neon, and magnesium (2+) is 1s2 2s2 2p6.

Why do nickel, zinc (2+), mercury, thallium (2+), and lead (2+) have the same electron configuration as oxygen, neon, and magnesium (2+)?

This is because these elements have the same number of electrons in their outermost energy level, also known as the valence shell. The electron configuration of an element is determined by the number of electrons in its valence shell.

How does the electron configuration of an atom affect its chemical properties?

The electron configuration of an atom can determine its reactivity and ability to form chemical bonds. Elements with similar electron configurations often have similar chemical properties.

Why do some elements have different electron configurations in their neutral state compared to in their ion state?

When an atom becomes an ion, it either gains or loses electrons, which can change the electron configuration. This is because the number of electrons in an atom determines its configuration, so any changes in the number of electrons will result in a different configuration.