Measuring pH and Ka of Acids: Exploring Alternative Methods

In summary: Then you can measure the voltage at which the silver nitrate dissociates and use that to calculate the standard electrode potential.
Just some guy
Hi,

I've got this question where I have to describe two methods of measuring the pH of a substance. I've already got the one using electrochemical potentials, but I'm a bit stumped on the second method.

What I've said is to carry out a titration with an alkali until the solution is neutralised. One can then work out the concentration, and if the acid fully dissociates, it's pH. However this is a bit of a fudge as it doesn't work for anything but strong acids. Is there a better way to do this?

Also, I have a second question where I have to devise an experiment to measure the eqilibrium constant Ka of a weak acid. I've written that a number of solutions of the acid could be made, each with a different concentration (increasing linearly from, say, 0.01moldm^-3 to 1moldm^-3), and then dumping some methyl orange in the substance and seeing at which concentration the colour just changes to orange. This substance should be at a pH of 4, so the concentration of H+ ions can be determined and if the concentration of the original substance is already known (this could be measured from a titration I guess) then Ka can be determined. But again this is a bit of a manky method because methyl orange switches at a range of pH values, not just 4. Does anybody have a better method?

Cheers,
Just some guy.

Physics news on Phys.org
What I've said is to carry out a titration with an alkali until the solution is neutralised. One can then work out the concentration, and if the acid fully dissociates, it's pH. However this is a bit of a fudge as it doesn't work for anything but strong acids. Is there a better way to do this?
it works for a weak acid/base and strong acid/base titration, you don't want the Ka to be too small though.

One the second issue,you have the right idea, you'll just need to find an appropriate indicator use titration to find the end point data as well as half end point data, at the half end point pH=pKa, you can also deduce the molar mass of the weak acid and work out some additional correlational data (you'll need to research this yourself) to support your conclusion.

Thanks for the help:smile:

I have another question though, I have to measure the standard electrode potential of silver from a solution of silver nitrate. If I measure the standard electrode potential of the silver nitrate what do I do next?:yuck:

If I'm understanding you correctly, from what I remember, you'll need to construct a galvanic cell with silver nitrate and a zero standard EMF component (I'll let you figure out what that is).

1. What is the pH scale?

The pH scale is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution. It ranges from 0 to 14, with 0 being the most acidic and 14 being the most basic. A pH of 7 is considered neutral.

2. How is the pH of an acid measured?

The pH of an acid can be measured using a pH meter or pH paper. A pH meter is a more accurate tool, while pH paper is a quick and inexpensive option. Both methods involve dipping the measuring tool into the acid solution and reading the pH level on the scale.

3. What is the color change on pH paper and what does it indicate?

pH paper changes color based on the acidity or basicity of a solution. In acidic solutions, it will turn red, while in basic solutions it will turn blue. The color change corresponds to a specific pH level, which can be determined by comparing the color to a pH chart.

4. What is the difference between a strong acid and a weak acid?

A strong acid is one that completely dissociates in water, meaning all of its molecules break apart into ions. This results in a low pH level. A weak acid, on the other hand, only partially dissociates, resulting in a higher pH level. Strong acids are considered more corrosive and dangerous than weak acids.

5. How does temperature affect the pH of an acid?

The pH of an acid can be affected by temperature, as it can impact the dissociation of acid molecules. Generally, as temperature increases, the pH of an acid will decrease, making it more acidic. However, this can vary depending on the specific acid and its concentration.