NaOH + HNO3 -----> HOH + NaNO3

• Thread starter hola
  • Start date
In summary, the first part of the conversation discusses writing out the net ionic equation for the reaction between diphosphorous trioxide gas and water, while the second part addresses balancing and writing out the net ionic equation for the reaction between sodium hydroxide and nitric acid. It is noted that the correct formula for phosphorous anhydride is P4O6, not P2O3, and the net ionic equation for acid-base neutralization is H+ + OH- --> H2O.
hola
Could someone check my work? I need to write out the net ionic equation, when applicable.

Diphosphourous trioxide gas is bubbled into water.
My answer:
P_2 O_3 + 3H_2 O ------> 2H_3 PO_3

A solution of sodium hydroxide is added to nitric acid.
Na(OH) + HNO_3 -------> HOH + NANO_3

For the second, could someone help balance and write out net ionic equation?
gracias

Physics news on Phys.org
#1 is acceptable, but note that it has been found that the correct formula for phosphoruous anhydride is actually P4O6, not P2O3 (sames goes with phosphoric anhydride which should be P4O10, even though it is often still called by its older name phosphorous pentoxide, P2O5)

2) You've already got it balanced:

NaOH + HNO3 --> NaNO3 + H2O

Break everything into ions:

Na+ + OH- + H+ + NO3- --> Na+ + NO3- + H2O

Cancel out same species:

H+ + OH- --> H2O

Note: The above net ionic equation applies to any acid-base neutralization.

1. Can someone help me with my experiment?

Yes, absolutely! Many scientists are willing to collaborate and offer assistance with experiments. You can reach out to colleagues, professors, or even online communities for help.

2. How can I find someone to help me with my research?

There are several ways to find help with your research. You can attend conferences and network with other scientists, reach out to experts in your field, or join online research communities.

3. Is it appropriate to ask for help in the scientific community?

Yes, it is completely acceptable to ask for help in the scientific community. Collaboration and sharing knowledge is a crucial aspect of scientific research.

4. What should I do if I am struggling with my research and need assistance?

If you are struggling with your research, the first step is to identify the specific areas or tasks where you need help. Then, you can reach out to colleagues, mentors, or online resources for guidance and support.

5. How can I repay someone for helping me with my scientific work?

There are many ways to show gratitude to someone who has helped you with your scientific work. You can offer to help them with their research, acknowledge them in your publications, or simply express your appreciation through a thank you note or small gift.