Aspirin and the longevity of plants?

In summary, adding crushed aspirin to cut flowers can improve their lifespan by preventing harmful bacteria from getting into the water. This is supported by research on the effects of salicylic acid, the active ingredient in aspirin, on plant growth and defense against pathogens. However, a simple experiment showed that using a saturated aspirin solution may lead to excessive wilting and drying of the flowers. Despite this, some argue that it could still be a successful product for preserving cut flowers.
oexnorth
I've heard that adding crushed aspirin to cut flowers improves the lifetime of flowers. Is this really true?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, after reading on this topic a bit, the only reasonable answer I could get was that the aspirin prevents any harmful bacteria from getting in the water. Does anyone know if this is the only reason, or the reason at all?

Maybe you should do a simple experiment :smile:.

Goofy thought: if aspirin prolonged plant life, the oldest plants in the world would be White Willows.

lisab said:
Maybe you should do a simple experiment :smile:.

Goofy thought: if aspirin prolonged plant life, the oldest plants in the world would be White Willows.

Yeah, I thought about that. It was something that I heard and wondered if there was anybody out there that already knew. If I have time, I'll do the experiment one day and see how it goes. Until then, I'll leave it up in the air.

stand_back_square_0.png

Experiment!

jhae2.718 said:
stand_back_square_0.png

Experiment!

:rofl:

That's great. And true.

jhae2.718 said:
stand_back_square_0.png

Experiment!

OMG... I've never seen that one! BRAVO!

@OP: You'd be right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salicylic_acid

Wikipedia said:
Salicylic acid (SA) is a phenolic phytohormone and is found in plants with roles in plant growth and development, photosynthesis, transpiration, ion uptake and transport. SA also induces specific changes in leaf anatomy and chloroplast structure. SA is involved in endogenous signaling, mediating in plant defense against pathogens.[4] It plays a role in the resistance to pathogens by inducing the production of pathogenesis-related proteins.[5] It is involved in the systemic acquired resistance (SAR) in which a pathogenic attack on one part of the plant induces resistance in other parts. The signal can also move to nearby plants by salicyclic acid being converted to the volatile ester, methyl salicylate.[6]

edit: Really, how fantastic is Aspirin! I think the only thing it doesn't do is make toast... and induce clotting.

oexnorth said:
I also found this link. It's a Michigan State experiment.

https://www.msu.edu/course/lbs/145/luckie/inquiries2003/thebiles.html

maybe not the best experiment. but it will sell Flor*life

There was a higher water level in the Aspirin group. This could be explained by the fact that our Aspirin solution was saturated and may have been hypertonic to the daisies, thus pulling the water from the cells of the plant. Since we observed the stems of the Aspirin group becoming brown, it is possible that the cells were drying out and dying. This hypothesis is supported by research conducted by M. S. Neff on cut roses, which found that saturated sugar solutions appeared to result in excessive wilting (Neff 1942). So the saturated nature of the Aspirin solution could ultimately have been the cause of the extreme wilting and dryness of the daisies.

Proton Soup said:
maybe not the best experiment. but it will sell Flor*life

It worked for me. I can't stop eating the stuff now. :)

1. How does aspirin affect the longevity of plants?

Aspirin has been found to increase the lifespan of plants by stimulating their natural defense mechanisms. It activates the production of antioxidants and enzymes that protect plants from environmental stressors and diseases, ultimately leading to a longer lifespan.

2. What are the benefits of using aspirin on plants?

In addition to increasing longevity, aspirin also improves plant growth and enhances their ability to withstand harsh conditions. It can also increase the resistance of plants to pests and diseases, making them healthier and more resilient.

3. Is aspirin safe for all types of plants?

While aspirin has been shown to benefit many types of plants, it is not suitable for all species. Some plants may be sensitive to aspirin and may experience negative effects. It is important to research the specific plant and its tolerance before using aspirin.

4. How often should aspirin be applied to plants?

The frequency of aspirin application depends on the plant and its needs. Generally, it is recommended to use aspirin every 2-3 weeks during the growing season. However, it is important to follow the instructions on the label and not exceed the recommended dosage.

5. Are there any alternative methods to using aspirin for plant longevity?

Yes, there are other natural methods that can help improve the longevity of plants. These include using organic fertilizers, properly watering and providing adequate sunlight, as well as using companion planting techniques to promote plant health. Aspirin is just one option among many.