Limiting Distribution of Xn | Probability Homework Solution

In summary: Finally, find the mass function of the limiting distribution: P(X=i)=limit_{n->infinity}(Fn(i)-Fn(i-1)).In summary, the problem is asking to find the limiting distribution of Xn given the probability function P(Xn=i)=(n+i)/(3n+6) for i=1,2,3. The MGF method can be used, but it requires finding the MGF of Xn for each n, taking the limit as n approaches infinity, and finding a random variable with the resulting MGF. Alternatively, one can find the cumulative probability function for each i, take the limit as n approaches infinity, and find the mass function of the limiting distribution.
stevenham

Homework Statement

Suppose P(Xn = i) = [itex]\frac{n+i}{3n+6}[/itex], for i=1,2,3.
Find the limiting distribution of Xn

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I first found the MGF by Expectation(etx)
which resulted in etx([itex]\frac{n+1}{3n+6}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{n+2}{3n+6}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{n+3}{3n+6}[/itex])
I then took the limit as n[itex]\rightarrow[/itex] ∞ which gives me 2etx

Did I do this problem correctly? Is that the limiting distribution of Xn?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
stevenham said:

Homework Statement

Suppose P(Xn = i) = [itex]\frac{n+i}{3n+6}[/itex], for i=1,2,3.
Find the limiting distribution of Xn

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I first found the MGF by Expectation(etx)
which resulted in etx([itex]\frac{n+1}{3n+6}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{n+2}{3n+6}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{n+3}{3n+6}[/itex])
I then took the limit as n[itex]\rightarrow[/itex] ∞ which gives me 2etx

Did I do this problem correctly? Is that the limiting distribution of Xn?

Thanks.

1) What you wrote is not the MGF.
2) You don't need the MGF; in fact, using the MGF is doing it the hard way.

RGV

Do I have to calculate the CDF?
After calculating the CDF and doing the limit as n goes to infinity, I get 1.

Did I calculate the MGF incorrectly? Should I have done E(e^ti) instead?

stevenham said:
Do I have to calculate the CDF?
After calculating the CDF and doing the limit as n goes to infinity, I get 1.

Did I calculate the MGF incorrectly? Should I have done E(e^ti) instead?

No, you did not calculate the MGF; you calculated exp(tx) times the sum of the probabilities-- in other words, just exp(tx), and for some completely undefined x. Yes, you should have calculated E(exp(t*i)), because that is exactly what the MGF is in this case (except you have used the symbol 'i' instead of 'X'). However, my original statement stands: you don't need the MGF, although using it correctly will do no harm.

RGV

No, you got it wrong. If you want to use the MGF method to find the limiting distribution, then, first, find the MGF of Xn for each n, which is

[itex]MGF_{X_n}(t)=E[e^{tX_n}]=\sum_{k=1}^3 e^{tk}P(X_n=k)[/itex].

Then, find the limit of the MGF as n tends to infinity. Finally, find some random variable X with MGF equal to [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}MGF_{X_n}(t)[/itex].

My suggestion is, instead using the MGF method, find the cumulative probability function, Fn(i)=P(Xn<=i) for each i=1,2,3. Then, limit this function as n tends to infinity. The limit is the cumulative probability function of the limiting distribution.

Last edited:

What is a limiting distribution?

A limiting distribution is a type of probability distribution that represents the long-term behavior of a sequence of random variables. It describes the pattern of outcomes as the number of trials or observations increases indefinitely.

How is a limiting distribution different from a normal distribution?

A normal distribution is a specific type of limiting distribution where the data is symmetrically distributed around the mean. However, a limiting distribution does not have to be normal and can take on a variety of shapes depending on the underlying data.

What factors affect the shape of a limiting distribution?

The shape of a limiting distribution is affected by several factors, including the distribution of the underlying data, the sample size, and the assumptions made about the data. In addition, the type of random variable being studied can also impact the shape of the limiting distribution.

How is a limiting distribution useful in statistics?

Limiting distributions are important in statistics because they allow us to make predictions about the long-term behavior of random variables. They also help us to understand the overall pattern of outcomes and can inform decision-making processes.

Can a limiting distribution change over time?

In general, a limiting distribution remains constant over time as long as the underlying data and assumptions remain the same. However, if there are changes in the data or assumptions, the limiting distribution can also change.