Calculating Torque Requirements for a Mobile Robot

In summary, the conversation was about building a robot with a total mass of 835g and using two servo motors connected to rubber tires with a 3.33cm radius. The question was how to calculate the total torque required to move the robot, taking friction into account. The equations used to calculate torque were given, along with the importance of considering power and acceleration. The conversation also touched on the impact of drag force and the complexity of determining torque at the actuated joints of a robot. Ultimately, it was determined that for a simplified mobile robot, the simplified method would suffice.
tebrown3
I am building a robot with a total mass of 835g, using two servo motors conected to the tires made of rubber which have a 3.33cm radius, and i wanted to know how to find out the total torque required to move the robot taking friction into account, the only things i know are:

Torque=Force*radius

Friction Force =Coefficient of Rolling ressistance*Normal force

Engineering news on Phys.org
Mixing both of your equations:

Torque/radius = Coefficient of Rolling resistance * Normal force

Or:

Torque = radius * Coefficient of Rolling resistance * Normal force

And:

Normal force = Robot mass * g

This will be the torque required at constant speed (acceleration = 0). When you will accelerate, the torque needed will be:

Torque = radius * (Coefficient of Rolling resistance * Robot mass * g + Robot mass * acceleration)

Or:

Torque = radius * Robot mass * (Coefficient of Rolling resistance * g + acceleration)

What is more important is the power required by your motors, which is:

Power = Robot velocity * Robot mass * (Coefficient of Rolling resistance * g + acceleration)

ok thanks but I am still a little confused
when you said

Power = Robot velocity * Robot mass * (Coefficient of Rolling resistance * g + acceleration)

can we assume a random reasonable velocity and an reasonable acceleration?

Last edited:
Well, when you will be «cruising», your velocity is constant, meaning the acceleration is zero. If you put the maximum velocity you wish to achieve, the acceleration is also zero and the equation will give you the minimum power you need from your motor.

You can check http://hpwizard.com/car-performance.html" for more detailed info. It is for cars and it also includes aerodynamic forces, but the theory applies to your robot as well (find the theory explained at the bottom of the page). The graph labeled «MAXIMUM ACCELERATION & SPEED» is basically the equation I gave you for power where the acceleration available drops as velocity increases for a given power.

For example, using the simplified version of the calculator, with a 2 W motor (or motors), a mass of 835 g and a coefficient of friction of 0.8, your robot should be able to reach a top speed of 13-14 km/h and have enough acceleration to reach 10 km/h in about 2-3 s (depending how you connect your motor to the wheels).

The power you need depends only on the performance you want to achieve (top speed and time taken to reach your cruising speed).

Last edited by a moderator:
What if a drag force is known. How should power and torque formulas be modefied?

deff0 said:
What if a drag force is known. How should power and torque formulas be modefied?

You add the drag force (FD) this way:

Torque = radius * (Robot mass * (Coefficient of Rolling resistance * g + acceleration) + FD)

Power = Robot velocity * (Robot mass * (Coefficient of Rolling resistance * g + acceleration) + FD)

Where FD = 0.5 * air density * drag coefficient * Robot frontal area * (Robot velocity)²

You need much more information to be able to determine the required torque at the actuated joints of a robot. Typically, an inverse dynamic model is used to relate the dynamics of an input force
\begin{equation}
f_i(t)
\end{equation}
to the end effector acceleration
\begin{equation}
a_p(t)
\end{equation}

Thank you, Jack!

Hey, Fex32!

Thank you for MIT's links. I'll look them through. But looks like that complicated theory is more about multi-joint assemblies, like robot arms and manipulators.
There are a couple of drives and wheels to move my bot and no plans to land it on Mars. I believe simplified method will do. It's also implemented in Drive Motor Sizing Tool http://www.robotshop.com/dc-motor-selection.html

Ohhhh, It's a mobile robot. lol.
I thought it was a robot manipulator.
Then I agree with the above.

Cheers,

1. How is torque calculated in robot design?

In robot design, torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to a lever arm by the length of the lever arm. This is known as the torque formula: torque = force x lever arm length.

2. What is the importance of torque in robot design?

Torque is important in robot design because it determines the robot's ability to perform tasks that require force or movement. Without enough torque, the robot may not be able to lift objects or move efficiently.

3. How do I determine the torque requirements for my robot?

The torque requirements for a robot can be determined by considering the tasks the robot will be performing, the weight and size of objects it will be handling, and the materials and components used in its construction. Consulting with a mechanical engineer or using torque calculators can also help determine the torque needed.

4. How can I increase the torque of my robot?

The torque of a robot can be increased by using a larger lever arm, increasing the force applied to the lever arm, or using a different motor or gear ratio. It is important to consider the weight and size of the robot when making these changes to avoid overloading the components.

5. What are some common challenges when designing for torque in robots?

Some common challenges when designing for torque in robots include finding a balance between torque and speed, ensuring the motor and gears can handle the torque requirements, and minimizing the weight and size of the robot while still meeting torque needs. Additionally, environmental factors such as friction and gravity must also be considered.